Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 10th, 2010 20:00

PE1800 - 650w PSU wiring diagram or connector specs?

Hi all, my first post here. I purchased a used PE1800 and am starting the process of converting it to a Windows Home Server.

The OEM power supply does not include SATA power connectors, however there are two Molex connectors available. I plan to install two 1TB WD drives and will use Molex>SATA adapters. However, I might want to install add'l drives in the near future, and thus would have no more power connectors available.

There is an unused 12-pin power connector of some sort (looks like half of a 24-pin ATX power connector) that intrigues me. Would it be possible to find/make an adapter that could utilize this spare connector and create more SATA power connections? Is this was would have plugged into a SCSI backplane? The machine has a drive cage with hot-swap trays but no backplane (the one SATA HDD is connected normally.)

I can't find any wiring diagrams, specs or anything specific to the PSU. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
TOM

August 6th, 2014 18:00

It's the power connector for the scsi backplane for sure; so, I suspect it's just tripling up on a regular molex; but, I too am looking for the wiring scheme (yes, four years later); I could go with wire color (match three colors: most abundant is ground, outside maybe 12v, and inside 5v), but what if...

2 Posts

August 6th, 2014 19:00

Wow, I forgot all about this post. I never did find a wiring diagram for the PSU. I think you're right about the 12v supply to power the SCSI backplane.

I became more interested in how to make a non-Dell PSU fit the 1800 in case my PSU ever fried. The refurb OEM replacements out there cost at least $200 which is $50 more than I paid for the whole system. Fortunately I found some terrific info elsewhere on this forum explaining how to retrofit a standard ATX power supply to work with the PE - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/956/t/19332502.aspx .

Good luck,
TOM

No Events found!