Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 6th, 2012 11:00

PER410 & PER620 sysid does not match lookup table in sys.ini

I am modifying a product to migrate from the PER410 to the PER620 (because PER410 is EOL). Since we will now offer our product on both the PER410 and the PER620, I must configure the installation of our product to configure the BIOS via syscfg (from Dell ToolKit 4.1) based on Platform Discovery (which platform is product being installed on? PER410 or PER620), which is based on the sysid found in the lookup table under the [MACH] heading in sys.ini from the Dell ToolKit. The expected sysid for each, according to this lookup table, is 028C and 04CE, respectively. However, the problem is that the actual reported sysid for each platform is 810B and 8122, respectively! WHY??

- Rob

• 

6.2K Posts

November 6th, 2012 12:00

Are these OEM systems, or are they normal systems purchased directly from us?

If they are OEM systems then their sysid will be different, and it would be an unlisted ID. If they are not OEM systems then I'll check with one of our escalation groups.

Thanks

10 Posts

I guess my assumption here is that our Dell PowerEdge 410 and 620 servers should always have sysids of 028C and 04CE ([MACH] lookup has 028C=PER410 and 04CE=PER620). And based on that assumption we should be able to properly do a platform discovery. Because the sysids that are actually returned are not on the [MACH] list in sys.ini, I don't know if all bought PER410s and PER620s are going to be properly discoverable via the provided toolkit, only modified toolkit (modified sys.ini), and that makes me think I am missing something big here!

By the way, The two PER620 machines I have are evals, and for a while I thought the strange sysid numbers were because of that, until I went back and looked at the sysid of one of our PER410s we resell and saw a sysid that is also not on the list. The list ends at 0529. 80XX is wayyyyyy to high a number to be part of that list. Just strange!

• 

6.2K Posts

Hello Rob

Could you tell me where the 810b and 8122 values are reported? What command are you using?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

The sysid is reported by the BIOS, and stored on the system board. The BIOS is programmed to function with a specific system ID, and that is the ID it reports.

These systems should always report that system ID, but if you order new systems with a different system board and BIOS they may report differently. A BIOS can be programmed to report any system ID that it wants, but in general our BIOS reports the ID on the board.

Thanks

10 Posts

Yes. command:

syscfg --sysid

returns 810B and 8122, for the two different platforms, respectively.

In tkenvset.sh we have $MACH set via syscfg --sys.ini    .... If I manually add to the end of [MACH] lookup, a couple lines that read

810b=PER410

8122=PER620

... then I can get those strings assigned to environment variable $MACH and do a proper platform discovery, however, using the given sys.ini (from DTK, untouched) with the tkenvset.sh script, platform discovery fails, and it is because $MACH never gets set, because the reported sysid is not found anywhere on the lookup table supplied with the DTK.

looking at the [MACH] lookup table in sys.ini, I expect that these two platforms should have system IDs of 028C and 04CE, respectively. These should be reported using the command syscfg --sysid. But because the real reported sysid for these two platforms id not found in the {MACH] lookup,  platform discovery fails. (not trying to be incredibly redundant, just very explicative :)

10 Posts

We buy these, and resell them with our software to perform a very specific task. Sounds like this is the expected sysid for these units. Can I trust that those sysid numbers will always be the same for each platform?

10 Posts

November 6th, 2012 13:00

Okay, well Platform Discovery is very important here now because our product hardware (same software) will now be 410s and 620s, and in order to support the existing r410 platforms out there and now r620s because of the end-of-life of the 410s, we would be very reliant on all of these system's sysid being always consistent for future deployment as well as  legacy support. So. I'm just needing to know if those particular unlisted sysid numbers are definitely known to be assigned to all machines of the like, and then I can go forward using the new sysid numbers for platform discovery. I'm not sure if I should be asking this here in the support forum or if I should ask our company's procurement guy to get a definitive answer about it from the Dell sales rep he deals with.

Thanks so much for your help!

• 

6.2K Posts

November 6th, 2012 13:00

I'm not sure if I should be asking this here in the support forum or if I should ask our company's procurement guy

I would check with your sales rep. As long as there are no revision changes to the hardware you are purchasing then the IDs should stay the same.

Thanks

No Events found!