Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

August 14th, 2008 18:00

PowerEdge 1800 motherboard identification

I have a motherboard tagged as a PowerEdge 1800 single CPU motherboard. It has a P/N by the CPU of DA0S10MB6E1 REV E and bar code of CN-0xm091-71703-71B-0552  Rev A00. Is there any other way for me to identify what I exactly have?

145 Posts

August 15th, 2008 05:00

That's part number XM091 (you knock off the first two letters, the dash and the zero to get from the bar code to the part number), revision A00.

I am not aware of Dell producing one socket motherboards for a two socket machine - though maybe someone will correct me on this. Amongst older machines some boards need an extra VRM plugged in to use the second socket, and some boards need a terminator in the second processor socket when used with a single processor.

Googling for "Dell XM091" (without the quotes) suggests that this is a PowerEdge 840 motherboard.

2 Posts

August 15th, 2008 08:00

So what type CPU and socket would this take? From Google it looks like it might be: Intel Pentium D 915 Dual Core 2.8GHz 800MHz 2x2MB LGA775 Bulk Pack Version. I am not seeing many good comments on this CPU.

17 Posts

August 20th, 2008 01:00

The PowerEdge 1800 system support for up two generation Intel Xeon processors (code name Nocona and Irwindale)

604-pin PGA package in a ZIF socket

1.2K Posts

August 25th, 2008 04:00

Google says this is a PE840 MB, not a PE1800.

145 Posts

August 25th, 2008 21:00

@snapohead wrote:
Google says this is a PE840 MB, not a PE1800.

As I said above.

Really, I don't see the point in trying to build up a machine if you've just got a motherboard - especially as there's no guarantee that that motherboard is any good. Low-ish end server motherboards aren't that expensive - but buying a processor, memory (remembering that server memory tends to be different to consumer motherboard memory), power supply and a case could add up, especially when you remember that the power supply and case needed by a Dell server board might well be Dell proprietary.

Without checking, I'm assuming that the 840 isn't one of the higher end servers. If, for example, you found a 2950 motherboard, you'd need a whole bunch of proprietary bits - chassis and backplane, control panel, storage controller card, sideplane, cooling shroud, 4 x system fans, at least one power supply, one heatsink per processor, you should have a pair of expansion card risers and, to make it a usable system, you'll need a a rack rail kit, drive caddies and screws. If you want an optical drive, you'll need the optical drive interposer board, power and data cables. If you want the DRAC 5, you'll need the DRAC card and cables. The only bits that are off the shelf are the processor and memory.

If all you've got is an untested motherboard, I'd say that it's only fit for eBay.

1.2K Posts

August 25th, 2008 22:00

david.j.wood wrote:

As I said above.

You did indeed! I must admit, i didn't see this before adding my response.

2 Posts

January 9th, 2013 08:00

Hello

Could you please send me a picture this system board  ?

Thanks

No Events found!