Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 6th, 2011 17:00

PowerEdge 830 install problem

I have a Poweredge 830 that the original IDE hard drive failed. I have installed a 120GB IDE drive, I am trying to install Windows 2003 Standard 64bit. For whatever reason, when installing 2003 Server, I'm receiving the error message "Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer". I have tried several other IDE drive and receive the same error message.

I have a Dell CERC SATA 1.5/6 Controller with 3 SATA drives in slot 4. I even unpluged these thinking this might be the problem

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2011 07:00

The first and most simple thing to do is boot to the F2 BIOS and ensure the server sees the hard drive and at the proper size. Then move on to drivers.

Server 2003 does not have native driver for many storage controllers.  So in order for the OS to be able to communicate with the hardware you have to manually load the driver, using the F6 feature of setup.

Drivers for the 830 can be found here.

support.dell.com/.../driverslist.aspx

That however requires you to use a floppy, or slipstream the driver. Another way to accomplish the install is to use the System Build and Update Utility. It is an ISO that you boot to first, select OS deployment, and it will walk your through the steps of installing the OS, and will load the drivers for you. Help format the drive and make any partitions you want.

Here is a video on how it is used.

Let me know how that works,

Thanks.

As a side note, here is a great tutorial on 2003 install.

www.petri.co.il/install_windows_2003.htm

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 7th, 2011 07:00

Not quite sure how your setup is as it relates to what drives are where.  If you have the CERC SATA controller, I would advise using SATA drives, but sounds like you are attempting to use the onboard IDE which shouldn’t have an issues on the install.  That said, the error you are getting relates to lack of a storage driver.

What I advise doing is downloading this installation disk, burning the ISO to image, then booting to the disk.  Eventually you will be presented with a list of operating system types, select Win2k3 X64 (be sure to use R2), and you should be in good shape from there.

ftp.us.dell.com/.../OM__5.3.0_SBUU_A00.ISO

6 Posts

June 7th, 2011 06:00

Bump

6 Posts

June 7th, 2011 09:00

DanielC

I downloaded the ISO from the below post and will try that. Thanks for your help! Good video.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 8th, 2011 07:00

That is awesome news, good job

6 Posts

June 8th, 2011 07:00

Todd and Daniel,

Thanks to the both of you for your help!

I now have that old PowerEdge 830 up and running with WS 2003 64.

No Events found!