Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 29th, 2011 12:00

PowerEdge Rack Cable Clips

I searched for this and couldn't find anything so hopefully it hasn't been answered yet.

I just purchased my first PowerEdge 4220 rack and have been happy so far with the whole installation procedure. I did run into a roadblock towards the end of the install manual where it talks about the cable clips. How exactly are you supposed to install these??

I got a bag with the clips, clamps, and screws (look like fat sheet metal screws)...but what exactly do you screw these into?? On page 29 of the manual I can sort of make out the location of where the illustration has them mounted, but there is nothing I can see near those spots to screw into! Am I an idiot? What am I missing here? Am I supposed to drill out holes myself or something? I really want to have these things installed so my cables aren't a big tangle.

802 Posts

August 31st, 2011 09:00

The large brackets are used for cabling.  The smaller bracket is used like a lock washer to apply pressure when using the screw to attach the cabling bracket in the cabling channel on the back of the rack on both sides.  The screw is self-tapping and does not need any drilling.  You can use any of the pre-drilled holes in the cabling channel.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2011 08:00

I'm referring to these: http://snpi.dell.com/snp/images/products/mlrg/A4266145.JPG

The stabalizer pieces are pretty easy to install. Those cable clips, however...they just puzzle me.

802 Posts

August 31st, 2011 08:00

The parts you are referencing may be used stabilize the rack.  The large screws (with the allen wrench head) are used to secure the brackets to the front of the rack on the floor.  This keeps the rack from falling forward when the servers are extended on the rails.

Let us know if we can assist in any way.

3 Posts

August 31st, 2011 10:00

Ahh alright I didn't realize they were self tapping since the non-philips end was flat and not pointed, didn't want to force anything and risk damaging the rack. That worked out fine, thanks!

1 Message

April 13th, 2012 14:00

Pictures please? The brackets don't stop the clip form rotating unless the tab has a slot to fit into. There is no slot. The screws are too long and come in contact with the side panels. With all the great engineering that is evidence on these racks, this is the best they have come up with?

1.2K Posts

April 14th, 2012 04:00

July 19th, 2012 16:00

I have to agree with 'cbmetsocisa'. This rack may be decent but the holes and placement for these are awful. At the very least document it properly.

There's also no slot for the tab to go into. The picture posted seems to have a different layout at the rear to the one we have.

Same story with the smaller vertical Dell PDU's, they do not install into a Dell rack.

1 Message

June 11th, 2013 14:00

It would be nice to be able to get additional clips to run up the opposite side of rack.  Does anyone know where I can purchase more clips (and mounting hardware)?

No Events found!