Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 24th, 2016 03:00

Server stutters responding....

I have a Dell server, PE 510, which stutters when you use it. For example, when you type it will accept input for about 3- 4 seconds then there will be a delay, and it will then catch up.

The mouse moves, then stops a little and then catches up. It even shows this keyboard and mouse behaviour over remote desktop.......

When you ping the server you get a fast ping response then a slow ping response and then a fast one to a slow one and it just carries on in the same manner all the time

The final straw is that when you copy to or from the server you only get half the bandwidth, so if your on a Gb switch it will only copy 50 Mb per second.

Never seen a server do anything like this before!

Any ideas how to resolve?

Thanks all

Kevin

• 

8.8K Posts

May 24th, 2016 07:00

Kevin_Cambs_UK,

Is the PE510 doing this both inside and outside the OS, or are you only seeing it occur inside the OS?

If unsure then you can boot to this ISO (OMSA Live) and test if it is running normally outside the OS. If it is then it is likely an issue with the OS, or a driver within. So I would suggest starting with updating the server to current.  What revision is the BIOS and iDrac currently residing at?

Let me know.

July 4th, 2016 05:00

It turns out there was so many java.exe programs running it was swamping the server.

It appeared it was from VCentre, so thanks for the assistance, it helped us go in the right direction.

No Events found!