Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2012 05:00

VMware VMotion fails with "CPU is incompatible" error - Dell R610

We have had to change motherboard and a CPU on a Dell R610 Host. Technician who switched burdkortet also did a BIOS update to 6.3.0 from 2.1.9. Now we can not do VMotion to this host more. We get the following error :

host cpu is incompatible with the virtual machine's requirements at cpuid level 0x1 register 'ecx'

IBM has a fix for this: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/311821

But what can we do?

August 31st, 2012 07:00

Hi cawn01,

If all the CPUs in your cluster support AES-NI and PCLMULQDQ then the recommendation is to update all the BIOSes and continue to use vMotion. The alternative recommendation is to use Enhanced vMotion compatibility to apply a baseline to all hosts in the EVC cluster. Information on what EVC baseline to choose are here: kb.vmware.com/.../search.do

Let me know how that works out or if you run into any difficulty.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 31st, 2012 07:00

As this was just a motherboard replacement, I assume the CPU is the exact same type/model (and possibly just the exact same CPU).

Go into the bios, then to the processor settings and verify that these 2 settings are enabled:

- Virtualization Technology

- ExecuteDisable

Then save the settings and reboot and see if you can vMotion.

24 Posts

August 31st, 2012 09:00

Hello Dev Mgr and Jonathan Stone.

Thanks for the replay.

Technicians changed mainboard and CPU at the same time. The CPU is the same model 5620 as they were before. It is the same CPU models as there is in the other 3 host.

I would say that it must also work with the new mainboard and CPU. I have been in the BIOS and make sure that Virtualization Technology and ExecuteDisable is enabled.

My problem is that I can not just move around our guest, and restart the other host or guest. We run production throughout the day and throughout the year. And many of our systems are very sensative to a migration.

We do not run on VMware because of administrative purposes, but because of safety.

But i do think that i have somthing to do whit AES-NI. But I cannot disable ore enable it.

No Events found!