This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 30th, 2011 07:00

how to avoid "press f1 to continue" during boot on PowerEdge T300

Hi guys,

I've got the systematic meesgae during boot on PowerEdge T300 :

"press f1 to continue"

I've disabled Keyboard error, plug or unplug usb keyboard, update BIOS, what else ?

Thanks for your help

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 30th, 2011 08:00

"how to avoid "press f1 to continue" during boot"

Fix the problem.

F1/F2 appears when there is a misconfiguration of "some" kind.  Although this can signal bad hardware (fan, etc.), it would usually be accompanied by a message related to it.  That said, this is MOST often something simply turned on that has nothing connected to it.  Look through the BIOS for anything that lists as "unknown".  Check your onboard SATA ports in BIOS Setup (F2) ... turn them all off unless you know for sure that there is something connected (open the case and check the ports).  If you have a RAID controller, you can probably safely turn OFF all but the first port.  

• 

8.8K Posts

September 30th, 2011 08:00

Phillippe67,

The F1 to continue error is commonly caused by a device being added to the server and not enabled, or that a port or device has been enabled and isn't present. Since this is happening systematically for you it doesn't sound like the case.

Are you getting an error prior to the F1 prompt?

Can you power down the server and reseat the expansion cards, and any SATA cables. If that doesn't resolve try disabling the SATA controller in the BIOS.

Can you take a screenshot of the error and post it?

September 30th, 2011 09:00

There was a sata port in auto mode, with nothing connected.

I disabled tis port, and it works fine now !

Thanks a lot for your help :-)

1 Message

December 10th, 2013 00:00

I disable SATA controller in BIOS and it works fine.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

December 10th, 2013 09:00

Chances are your optical drive now doesn't work.  Do as the others have suggested ... disable any individual SATA ports that DO NOT have anything connected to them.

1 Message

March 14th, 2019 08:00

In my case, it was just a matter of powering the server down and reseating the memory. (The server was just placed in the rack) once this was done and powered back on. It detected that the "memory has changed". The server continued the boot process and the Press F1 to continue stopped. This puppy is working as expected : o )
No Events found!