Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2013 12:00

iDRAC6 Update via Website failing on Firmware Upload

hi there,

i am trying to update an iDRAC6 Enterprise on a PE T410. Apart from several other 11G Server iDRACs i updated this week to 1.92 Build 05 this one does not complete the image upload.

i also tried to emtpy the job queue successfully with winrm but uploading a firmimg.d6 file again does not complete. (stays within  "uploading" screen)

is there any way to soft oder cold reboot the drac via winrm? i would like to keep all the idrac seetings for i do not want to reboot the machine (esxi hypervisor 5.1)

i have a remote W7 Pro x64 station with winrm installed.

any ideas?

kind regards

Torsten

• 

6.2K Posts

January 17th, 2013 13:00

Hello Torsten

The only method I'm aware of doing it is via RACADM commands: RACADM racreset That will restart the iDRAC without affecting the system as a whole. I haven't tried the below method, but I found it in the WS-Man guide for the lifecycle controller:

22What happens when the DeleteJobQueue() method is invoked with a JobID of JID_CLEARALL from the WS-Management client?
All jobs are cleared. Some services and processes on the iDARC are restarted and there is a delay of one to three minutes before

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

does "racreset hard" delete any drac settings or would that be worth a try?

No, the soft and hard qualifiers on racreset do not delete anything. racresetcfg is the command to delete settings. It sounds like the update may have locked up the DRAC. If the hard switch does not reset it then you will likely have to restart the server to reset it.

Thanks

14 Posts

Hi Daniel,

C:\>winrm invoke DeleteJobQueue cimv2/root/dcim/DCIM_JobService?CreationClassName=DCIM_JobService+Name=JobService+SystemName=Idrac+SystemCreationClassName=DCIM_ComputerSystem @{JobID="JID_CLEARALL" } -u:root -p:***

-r:https://xx.xx.xx.xx/wsman:443 -SkipCNCheck -SkipCACheck -auth:basic -encoding:utf-8

results in:

DeleteJobQueue_OUTPUT

Message = The specified job was deleted

MessageID = SUP020

ReturnValue = 0

another

C:\>racadm -r xx.xx.xx.xx -u root -p *** racreset

results in

Security Alert: Certificate is invalid - Certificate is not signed by Trusted Third Party

Continuing execution. Use -S option for racadm to stop execution on certificate-related errors.

ERROR: A firmware update is currently in progress. Unable to reset the

RAC at this time.

some kind of voodoo... does "racreset hard" delete any drac settings or would that be worth a try?

kind regards

Torsten

14 Posts

January 17th, 2013 15:00

"racreset hard" also results in ERROR: A firmware update is currently in progress. Unable to reset the RAC at this time.

i think a machine reboot will be neccessary. still no clue where to reset the drac... i hope in the configuration menü showing up on reboot [CTRL+D].

thx for your assistance Daniel

kind regards

• 

3.4K Posts

January 17th, 2013 22:00

Hi Torsten,

Here's something you can try using.

Dell's BMC tool has IPMITOOL to reset the drac card without flashing any of the existing configurations.

It is some sort a cold reboot of the DRAC card.

The place to download the ipmi tool :

downloads-us.dell.com/.../OM-BMC-Dell-Web-WIN-7.1.0-5304_A00.exe

The command to run: ipmitool mc reset cold

Let me know if the update is successful.

14 Posts

January 18th, 2013 02:00

C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell\SysMgt\bmc>ipmitool -H xx.xx.xx.xx -U root -P *** mc reset cold
Error: Unable to establish LAN session
Error sending the Command .
any idea, what to setup?
management station ist connected via VPN. i could try to use ipmitool on one of the VMs on the T410 Hypervisor. 

kind regards

3 Apprentice

• 

943 Posts

January 18th, 2013 09:00

I think the idrac is off in the weeds, and I believe that pulling power to reset the idrac is going to be the only solution. Rebooting the box will probably not have any effect. Note, if you do pull power, do it for at least 30 seconds, plug power back in, and dont power on the box for 1 minute or until the front panel LCD responds to the button presses.

No Events found!