Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 21st, 2012 05:00

Add Preloaded OS hard disk into an Raid 1 Array without losing data

hi, sorry if somebody post it already, i have dell server 2850 which is currently in SCSI Mode with single SCSI hard disk and windows server 2008 is running on it with some applications, i want config raid 1(mirror) on it by adding an extra SCSI hard disk into the system without losing my old OS. its there any way i can do it.

one thing i know when we go from SCSI mode to Raid Enabled, and Config Raid 1 we have to initialize array, which will format data. which make me think there is no way to do that.

i have come up with idea, but not sure it will work or not can some body comment on that. what about if i take my current OS image from Acronis or some other tool, and format Hard by adding them into Raid 1 array, and restore Image into Raid Volume. will it work???

Thanks for your replies and sorry i said something wrong as i am not an expert.

February 22nd, 2012 00:00

Thank you Dev Mgr and Chris for your replies, i have come up with the better solution, i have taken my OS image from Acronis and put it some where on network, Change Dell 2850 BIOS Option from SCSI to Raid Enabled. go into array manager by Ctrl+m,  config server for raid 1 and initialize the array it will format my hard disk, boot server from acronis backup and recovery with universal restore, browse my image from network and restore it with universal restore option enabled, after restoring restart my OS and OS  detected drives for Dell PERC 4e/DI Raid Controller. OS is UP and Running Fine......  :-)

hope this will help you people.

regards,

Adeel Ahmad

9.3K Posts

February 21st, 2012 07:00

As your current OS doesn't have the raid controller driver loading on boot, the image will probably not work after enabling the raid controller mode.

A trick may be to see if you can borrow a PERC4 PCI-X or PERC4e PCIe card, put it in the server, let Windows install the drivers for it, reboot and then make the image. You can now pull the PERC4/PERC4e card again and turn on the embedded raid controller.

• 

8.4K Posts

February 21st, 2012 07:00

AdeelAhmadch,

I am not certain if the image will actually boot correctly as the image will be taken with the SCSI driver, not the raid driver. So when it goes to boot it will try to load the SCSI driver.

No Events found!