Highlighted
sspd
1 Copper

Add a disk in a virtualdisk with idrac

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have a virtual disk (Raid 5, 3 physical disks) and I want to expand the virtual disk with another disk. The four disks are the same capacity and model.

I found this article:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln131972/how-to-add-a-physical-drive-to-an-existing-a...

But I want to do it with iDRAC software. At the end of the article you can read:

Add a disk in Virtual Disk without OpenManage Server Administrator

Starting from the 14G generation server, it is also possible to add a disk using the PERC BIOS menu available at startup (F2). iDRAC 9 also offers this feature.

My server is a PowerEdge R540 and iDRAC9 but, where can I find how to do it in iDRAC?

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Add a disk in a virtualdisk with idrac

Jump to solution

Hello

In this knowledge base article there is a link in the Storage & PERC section titled Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) and RAID-Level Migration (RLM) of VDs using PERC 9 & PERC 10. I skimmed through the article, it looks like it has the information you need.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln311065/

I'm not sure if it is mentioned in the article, but the controller mode, RAID level, availability of unused space, and boot status may affect whether online capacity expansion/reconfigure tasks are available or will function. What I mean by boot status, if you are booted into system services or some hardware interface then some features within the iDRAC may not be available or may not be able to complete. You will need to exit system setup/system services and allow the system to boot normally for some features to be available.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello

In this knowledge base article there is a link in the Storage & PERC section titled Online Capacity Expansion (OCE) and RAID-Level Migration (RLM) of VDs using PERC 9 & PERC 10. I skimmed through the article, it looks like it has the information you need.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/sln311065/

I'm not sure if it is mentioned in the article, but the controller mode, RAID level, availability of unused space, and boot status may affect whether online capacity expansion/reconfigure tasks are available or will function. What I mean by boot status, if you are booted into system services or some hardware interface then some features within the iDRAC may not be available or may not be able to complete. You will need to exit system setup/system services and allow the system to boot normally for some features to be available.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
sspd
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi,

I answer myself. You have to wait until the raid is built to see the option in iDRAC.

Regards

0 Kudos