Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

CR

September 13th, 2013 13:00

Best RAID5 configuration for esxi 5 install

I have a Dell R420 with a PERC H310 RAID controller and 4 1TB disks. I am planning to install esxi 5.1 and am wondering if I should create a separate virtual disk for this in the same disk group or create 1 virtual disk using all the available space?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 13th, 2013 15:00

Hello

I would suggest creating 1 virtual disk, and I would recommend against RAID 5. Since the H310 controller does not have cache you will take a substantial performance hit with RAID 5. Unless you like to keep things separated I would recommend against slicing. I can't think of a practical purpose for doing so.

Thanks

September 13th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for the reply and the great information. What RAID level would you recommend that would provide the best mix of performance and redundancy with this controller?

• 

6.2K Posts

September 14th, 2013 10:00

I would find a way to put ESXi onto a USB device and create a RAID 10 with the four drives that you have. If it is a lab environment then I would create a RAID 0 to maximize available space. My lab server at home with ESXi has a 16GB thumb drive inserted in one of the rear USB ports with ESXi installed on it.

If you don't want to go the USB installation route then my recommendations would be the same with RAID 10 for production environment and RAID 0 for a lab. Just install ESXi directly onto the array. Be sure to set your BIOS mode for UEFI if you create an array larger than 2TB.

Thanks

No Events found!