Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2014 10:00

Clearing out a "non-critical" warning

Hi All,

I recently replaced a failed HDD in a RAID set.  Although the rebuild went well, when it was over, I was greeted but an unwelcome disk state: "Non-Critical".

After some digging around, it appears the controller is throwing this following error:

Severity      : Non-Critical
ID            : 2359
Date and Time : Mon Mar  3 23:40:43 2014
Category      : Storage Service
Description   : Disk found is not supplied by an authorized hardware provider:  Physical Disk 0:0:0 Controller 0, Connector 0

This is because I bought the HDD from a supplier other than Dell.  The drive is the same exact model of the one it replaces.

Although I can appreciate the controller's willingness to warn me about this "unauthorized" provider, since I know perfectly well there is no issue here, what I'm looking for is a way to acknowledge the error. 

As it stands, all our monitoring systems and showing this server in a warning state since the controller's IPMI state is "warning" due to this unhelpful error code.  Needless to say, I'd like monitors to go back to green and only bother me if there is a real failure.

Any help would be appreciated!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 5th, 2014 11:00

"This is because I bought the HDD from a supplier other than Dell.  The drive is the same exact model of the one it replaces."

It's not because you didn't buy it from Dell; it's because you didn't buy a Dell drive.  Drive manufacturers might make a particular model of hard drive that Dell decides it wants to use in its servers, so Dell develops and tests a firmware for that drive that the drive manufacturer then loads onto that model for them, and these drives can be purchased from a large number of suppliers other than Dell, often for much less.  These drives are considered "certified" drives, because the firmware has been tweaked to match the settings on Dell controllers (every OEM tweaks their controller and drive firmware).  The generic/retail version of those drives may or may not behave as the controller expects and can lead to issues.  The logs and alerts store this information as part of its data that can be used for troubleshooting.  The drive certification status is an important part of troubleshooting, because when there are issues, non-certified drives can often be the cause ... if Dell (or anyone) is investigating a storage issue, that information is relevant to the process.

That said, I do not think there is a way to dismiss these messages.  Maybe someone more versed in the language of OpenManage and hardware alerts can help you filter those out, but it's important to realize why they are there.

1 Message

August 7th, 2014 13:00

I couldn't find any way to do it.  I finally gave up and bought a Dell branded version of the HDD to shut the server up.

5 Posts

Ugh. I'm using Seagate Enterprise Drives... That's <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> of dell. A SAS controller that's not compatible with SAS drives. LSI lists the Seagate Enterprise drives as "recommend" for their version of the same controller.

5 Posts

Hello,

Did you ever find a solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Joe

18 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 19:00

It's 2017 now, I'm stunned Dell hasn't resolve this issue. OpenManager Server Administrator is worthless without the ability to acknowledge the drives aren't Dell certificated and have the warning go away. I'm very annoyed after spending $1200+ on  WD Black Enterprise drives I can't return; which work better and are more reliable then the Dell certified Seagates.

If anyone's figured out a way to resolve this issue please reply.

Thanks, Ramsey

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 4th, 2017 08:00

WD does not recommend them in enterprise RAID environments. It's not necessarily a waste of money - use them in your workstations - that's what they were designed for. 

which work better and are more reliable then the Dell certified Seagates

There is nothing showing this, and the fact that both Dell and WD discourage use of them on enterprise RAID controllers would be evidence enough to a discerning IT professional that that is not the case in the scenario you are looking at.

18 Posts

March 4th, 2017 10:00

My bad they're actually WD RE drives, not Black. They're specifically designed for datacenters and raid configurations.

products.wdc.com/.../2879-771444.pdf

Too bad, back to the drawing board and more money.

Thanks for the reply.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 4th, 2017 12:00

While Dell didn't do any testing, WD tested and validated the older RE4's on older Dell controllers. WD stopped posting compatibility testing results for their drives, but that last HCL I saw for the post-RE4 RE's did not include most OEM controllers. They are generically designed to work for most generic controllers (LSI, Adaptec, 3ware, etc.). Dell certifies drives, which involves drive manufacturers to load Dell-specific firmware on them, so that no matter the make/model, they will be compatible with the controllers. It is also the only way it can guarantee performance and reliability - so any drives that don't match what they will guarantee are flagged as non-certified. It's there to give people plenty of warning that what they are using is not guaranteed to work and that Dell can't (and won't) help them troubleshoot performance or reliability issues with them installed. For some people, that alone is not enough to justify the minimal savings over buying certified drives. Just keep in mind that you do NOT have to pay the premium Dell asks for certified drives, you can buy certified drives for a fraction of Dell's cost from resellers/suppliers, making the cost difference between certified and non-certified drives minimal. 

18 Posts

March 4th, 2017 12:00

Thanks for explanation I was stating to gather as much. As suggested I've been checking out dell parts for certified drives p/n and will peruse the reseller/supplier option.

6 Posts

July 27th, 2018 18:00

While I do FULLY agree with theflash1932's comments, I think that server admins should have access to the knowledge to manage and configure their environments as they see fit, even if it may be to their own detriment.  With that being said, you can disable the certified drive checks by following the info on this page: https://toughtechsite.wordpress.com/2017/12/03/the-case-of-non-certified-physical-drives-causing-warnings-in-dell-openmanage-omsa/

Standard responsibility disclaimer applies, not recommended, may void warranty, may negate availability of Dell assistance, etc.  But for others who are ok with these risks, and/or are out of warranty support period anyway, you now have the information necessary to get rid of the unnecessary warning.  

Side note for Dell: there really should be a way to disable these non-critical, arbitrary warnings in OMSA.  I've missed ACTUAL VALID warnings because i got used to seeing the non-certified warning triangle in OMSA.  You shouldn't be "Crying Wolf" when it comes to things like server administration.

October 19th, 2019 09:00

to clear the non certified dell hard drives warning

go to 

C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\sm\stsvc.ini

and change 

NonDellCertifiedFlag=no

1 Message

December 15th, 2019 21:00

@samyelfeel wrote:

to clear the non certified dell hard drives warning

go to 

C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\sm\stsvc.ini

and change 

NonDellCertifiedFlag=no

This did the trick for us. Thanks,

2 Posts

January 30th, 2020 09:00

Thanks

1 Message

May 23rd, 2022 14:00

This worked for us...Was driving us nuts having this error. Thank You!

1 Rookie

• 

7 Posts

August 18th, 2023 12:15

good morning
I have the same problem after one of my toshiba hard drives crashed. I bought a seagate and I believe I even did the rebuild correctly, but the alert remained and it was not identified anywhere within the server as a seagate, but with the toshiba that had died. I was sent instead an HGST that is identified by the server but the non-critical alert still continues. searching the dell website for my tag, I found a FW update for this hd model HUC156060CSS200 however it does not install this update that I downloaded from the dell website for the t320. I don't understand why it doesn't want to install since it's for the 2012r2 server and it's inside my tag.
Can someone help me?
thanks

• 

3.4K Posts

18-08-2023 01:35 PM

Hello,

which is the file you are trying to install? Is the hard drive bought with the original order with the server?

Thanks

Marco

DELL- Marco B

Social Media and Communities Professional

Dell Technologies | Enterprise Support Services

#IWork4Dell

Did I answer your query? Please click on ‘Mark as Accepted Answer’. ‘Thumbs up’ the posts you like!

No Events found!