Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BD

4 Posts

December 20th, 2018 17:00

Cloning my Main to a Backup Server using RAID 1

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your time reading. I'm new to the RAID Configuration topic and Cards and I have been reading already articles already and researching how this works. So far i'm getting things straight but I have a few questions I hope people can help me solve it.

I have 2 Dell PowerEdge R620 where one is a back up server (not always connected) and one that we use for our Main.
I also have a Raid card for both, and has their Own SAS Hard Drives connected. (2 HDD for the back up and 3 for the Main)

My Goal is to make a clone of the Main Server HDD and plug it on the Back up Server which we should expect to work properly.

The Main server's current Configuration is the following:
- PERC H710 Mini : currently at RAID 1 Configuration
- SAS 0 is the main hard drive I need to clone
- SAS 1 is configured as Raid 1 from SAS 0  (which I understood as they SAS 1 is mirroring from SAS 0)
- SAS 2 is configured as Hot Swap

What I did so far:
- Set the SAS 1 to Offline.
- Hot swap then automatically start the rebuilt procedure. (it completed)
- From the Virtual Disk I went and check their consistency (currently running)

Once it finished what I want to do is:
- Plug the SAS 1 drive to SAS 0 of the Backup server.
- Turn Back up server On.
- If it ask for Foreign configurations. I will ask it to use the foreign configurations (is there an option? I havent done this yet)
--- (I was also thinking if its better for me to remove all the SAS Drive from the back up server and plug the SAS 1 drive of the main server to Location 0 from Back up.)
- Then configure to do a rebuild on the Backup server using the Open Manage Software.

I'm trying to find out if I would encounter any issues or data loss specifically for this step or what I could better do to clone the data to a back-up server.

Another information :
The Back up server has lesser Memory and only has 1 CPU (our main has 2 CPU) connected, and i'm also wondering if there would be an impact on the data if we used back up server for operations. (it will be slow I believe but will it affect the data itself from the SAS 1 Main?)

Thanks a lot for anyone who will help and had the time to read this.
Best regards,
Brian D.

4 Posts

December 20th, 2018 21:00

Apparently when you have a data on the SAS 1 and you set it offline it will not be readable by Backup Server.

Still trying to figure out how to clone the Main HDD to Backup server using Raid 1 configuration.

4 Posts

February 26th, 2020 22:00

Hi Brian,

I have a simular problem. 

Did you found a solution for cloning the servers? My Backup Server will not accept the disk from the Main Server. It always says there is a foreign configuration on it. And I can't find a way that the Backup Server will accept this.

Thanks

Arema

4 Posts

February 26th, 2020 23:00

Hi Brian,

I found the option for importing the foreign configuration. It works.

No further help is needed.

Regards,

Arema

No Events found!