Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2012 10:00

Disk fails on boot PERC 5i PE 2900

Hi all

I have a Dell PE2900 tower with the Perc 5i card in.

I have a RAID5 storage array with 4 x 2Tb Seagate SATA disks in.  These have been working fine for about 12 months however now every time I reboot the server for updates etc... the drive in slot 6 fails to detect causing the array to be in a degraded state.  After a few seconds the drive reappears and the array rebuilds and all is well.

Is this likely to be a fault on the disk or the Perc card?

The disks are standard ones from a 3rd party (eg not Dell Branded) so come up as uncertified however the dell shop does sell the same version.

Thanks

Paul

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 19th, 2012 10:00

You can buy the same model number drive with generic/retail firmware or with Dell firmware (certified).  Using non-certified drives CAN cause issues - immediate or random.

That said, it is more likely your drive has a problem than the controller.  If you have not already done so, reseat that drive to ensure you have a clean connection.  Do the same with the cable on both ends (backplane and controller).  

Which slots do your drives occupy?

I would run diagnostics on your drives, the one in slot 6 in particular.  If all pass, I would suggest you update your BIOS, ESM/BMC, then RAID (driver first) and HDD firmware.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 19th, 2012 11:00

You mentioned the disk would go offline when you rebooted, so I just figured you could reseat cables when you rebooted next, but yes, you want to have the server powered down to reseat the cables.

Your RAID firmware for the PERC 5/i is up to date.  You just want to make sure your BIOS is at 2.7.0 and your ESM is at 2.37.  I would also check into obtaining a firmware update for the drives from the drive manufacturer.

Online Diagnostics will run fine in 2008 R2 for testing the drives from the OS:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

If you want something more thorough, you can run 32-bit Diagnostics from bootable media:

www.dell.com/.../DriverDetails

3 Posts

February 19th, 2012 11:00

Thanks for the fast reply.

I've re-seated the drive, just waiting for the array to rebuild which takes about 5 hours :emotion-6:

I assume I'll need to power down the server to reset the internal cables without casing issues.

I currently have drives in all slots.  The 2Tb disks are in 4 - 7.

What diagnotic tools can I use?  I've tried some obvious ones but they are no use in windows as the drive presents as a logical volume rather than physical disk.

My current RAID firmware: 5.2.2-0072

Driver version: 4.05.01.64

Storport driver: 6.1.7601.17577

Paul

3 Posts

February 20th, 2012 23:00

Hi.

I've run the online diagnostics after reseating the drive and it didnt show any issues.  My BMC driver is at 1.33 which looks to be out of date.  How do I go about updating that?  I downloaded what I thought was the right thing from the dell site but it wont run in a 64bit OS.  Is there a tool/method of flashing it during boot?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

February 21st, 2012 08:00

This is the Update Package for Microsoft Windows, taken from the list of 2008 R2 downloads:
http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/2684/DriverDetails?DriverId=J5GTM&FileId=2731106031&DriverName=Dell%20BMC%20Firmware%2C%20v.2.37%2C%20A12

This will not require a reboot, but the fans will speed up during the update and could last up to 10 minutes or more.

No Events found!