Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 21st, 2021 14:00

Does R640 can use BOOS-S1 card in 2 CPU config only?

Hello!

I've try to install BOSS-S1 card (with 2x240 SSD M2 installed) into R640 server with single CPU Gold 6242R. Risers A1 and A2 are preinstalled.

If I install a card in slot3, nothing happens, but it should be, in a uniprocessor configuration slot3 does not work. However, the device is detected in the hardware inventory.

If I install a card in slot1 or slot2, then the boot stops abnormally with the messages:

UEFI0056: A PCIe error has occured.

Check the System Event Log (SEL) to identify the PCIe device that is not functioning correctly, and then update the device firmware.

And there is no card in the hardware inventory.

At first, I assumed that the card was faulty, or it had a firmware failure. But, having installed in another server (R440), I found that the card is normally detected and, even, updates the firmware via iDRAC.

Then I just installed 2 bronze processors in the R640 server and the card was detected and worked in any PCIe slot (1,2.3). 

So, my question is subject. Or maybe a different set of risers is required for the correct operation of this card in a uniprocessor configuration?

Regards!

12 Posts

May 2nd, 2021 04:00

Solved.

Confirmed by Regional DELL support.

DELL PowerEdge R640 can not use BOSS-S1 card in singleCPU configuration.

Regards.

• 

3.7K Posts

April 21st, 2021 19:00

Hi Please check out page 27.

https://dell.to/3tHIFi7

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 21st, 2021 21:00

3 PCIe Slot configuration need 2 CPU. Is the server came with 2 CPU? You can try removing riser with slot 3 and try

12 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 12:00

Hello, Shine!

Yes, I know that very well.

Moreover, even on the riser itself it is written that it is used only with CPU2. Nevertheless, as I wrote in the first post, for some reason the BOSS-S1 card in slot3 is shown in the hardware inventory, but, of course, it does not work. In unoprocessor configuration. And in slots 1 and 2 - it causes a boot failure.
So please re-read my first post, and answer the question asked in the Topic if you can.

Regards!

12 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 12:00

Hello, MOD!

I've check it manual page but found nothing new. Please reread my first message and, if U can, then please answer for question in Subject.

Regards!

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

April 22nd, 2021 19:00

As Slot 3 is not supported with single CPU config, we can try by removing the riser with slot 3 itself and see whether boot error is shown when BOSS is connected to Slot 1 or Slot 2.
No Events found!