Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2016 12:00

Does the R520 Need specific Drivers/firmware for an Upgrade ESXi 6 U2?

Running VSphere 5.5 now trying to plan the upgrade to vSphere 6 U2.  Searching for any specific requirements or update necessities prior to performing the upgrade.  Appreciate any experience or insight your willing to share.

Thanks Chris

• 

6.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2016 16:00

Hello

I would suggest researching upgrade procedures on VMware's site. I'm not aware of any firmware or BIOS requirements for the upgrade. You should use our custom image to perform the upgrade. Our custom image contains necessary VIBs for the hardware to function. If you use a standard VMware image to perform the upgrade then it is possible the operating system may not load correctly due to missing drivers/VIBs.

You can find our custom image on the download page for the R520 at dell.com/support. Change the operating system at the top to VMware 6 and it will be listed under the Enterprise Solutions category.

Thanks

8 Posts

April 26th, 2016 06:00

Thanks Daniel

I began on VMware's site before posting.  I also ran the hardware compatibility tool on their site for my specific hardware.  One of the items VMware documentation mentioned was to verify compatibility with your hardware vendor .  

I hadn't found anything on Dell's site to state otherwise which is why I posted here.  In case other community members had experienced anything different they were willing to share.  Thank you for responding and the reminder to use Dell's custom image, sometimes the hardest part is traversing the site to get to the download. ;-)

Thanks

Chris W

34 Posts

April 27th, 2016 14:00

I got totally nailed with an R520 on a VMWare patch upgrade.

Ran a vmware patch, rebooted, now this:

en.community.dell.com/.../19676162

General Protection Fault when booting, the BIOS literally crashes. All firmware latest. Nobody helps me. Tread carefully and test on a staging server first.

No Events found!