Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 21st, 2010 07:00

Expand SAS 5/iR Diskspace in PE1900

Have a server with 2x 250GB SATA HD non-hot-swap-mirrored RAID1 on a SAS 5/iR.

I need to expand the space available.

I understand this only supports a pair of mirrored disks.

As I see it, I have two options -- replace the two disks with two bigger disks;   can I swap a disk at a time and get it to expand automatically? or do I need to do a full backup and restore (which I'd rather not do)

The second option is to add a second PERC or SAS controller with a second pair of (bigger) disks.  What pitfalls problems will I have then?

The second option appears to be the easiest/lowest impact - but more expensive.

Comments?  Gotchas? Pointers?

Many thanks folks.....

-Craig

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

December 21st, 2010 08:00

Rebuilding drives one at a time will not work, because 1. the SAS 5/iR does not support auto (or manual) expansion of the array, and 2. you cannot create a second array across the same set of disks, SO your extra disk space will be wasted.  Backup/restore to a newly created array on the desired size of disks is your only option here.

While you might get a second controller to work, the PERC/SAS cards are designed for a specific slot on the 1900 (rather, the 1900 has a dedicated slot for the PERC/SAS controllers). 

You could upgrade to a PERC card, but you'd have to backup/restore anyway, as SAS 5/iR VD's are not compatible with PERC 5/i's (PERC/SAS 6 is a different story).

Your second-best option (first being backup/restore) is to put two more disks in a RAID 1 attached to your SAS 5/iR - as it supports two virtual disks, this would give you additional storage space on the server. 

No Events found!