Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

November 17th, 2016 20:00

Expanding Poweredge T320

This server, running SBS essentials 2011, has 4 drive bays (cabled) and a Perc H310 adapter.  There are 2x1tb SAS drives installed as raid 1.  We need to expand the storage space. I am looking for the best way to do this, but don't want to redo the existing raid 1.  One thought was to add 2x2tb drives and configure them as a second raid 1.  Is this a workable setup? Are there better options?  Am I limited to 2TB drives or can I go larger?  Are there any issues with using non-Dell drives?  One other question - should I use the Perc bios setup to do the setup or is Open Manage bettter?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 17th, 2016 22:00

One thought was to add 2x2tb drives and configure them as a second raid 1. 

Yes, this is probably your best option.

Am I limited to 2TB drives or can I go larger?

You can use larger than 2TB drives, but you probably can't use pure 4k drives - you'll need 512e drives.

Are there any issues with using non-Dell drives?

Yes, there are potentially many different issues you may encounter using non-Dell drives. If cost is a driver for looking at non-Dell drives, then buy Dell drives through resellers/suppliers to avoid paying the high prices of buying directly from Dell. Never use desktop/laptop or NAS drives in a server.

should I use the Perc bios setup to do the setup or is Open Manage bettter?

OpenManage is always preferred when possible.

24 Posts

January 8th, 2017 10:00

The server does not have open manage installed, what modules do I need to download and install to use Open Manage?

One other question, once I have the drive setup with open manage, is it ok to use the 2TB space as a single partition or is it better for performance to make a few smaller partitions?

Thanks for all the great information

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 8th, 2017 11:00

Support.dell.com, Drivers and Downloads, search for your model (don't enter a Service Tag), and find OpenManage Server Administrator Managed Node 32-bit under Systems Management. Let me know if you need a link.

Yes, you can use the 2TB as a single partition. You can also break it up into smaller partitions if it makes sense for your business use, but there is no benefit one way or the other. I would probably use it as a single partition for simplicity, but let me know your use case if you want to split it up into smaller partitions and I'll give you my opinion.

24 Posts

January 8th, 2017 21:00

Thanks again for the information.  One more question. Do you recommend applying the firmware update on the Perc H310 adpater and any other recommend related updates?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 8th, 2017 22:00

Yes, you should keep the system firmware up to date.

No Events found!