Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

March 8th, 2019 17:00

Factory Reset PowerEdge T340

I have a T340 server that has a 440GB SSD drive as the boot drive and 4 12TB SAS drives.  There is nothing on any of them.

I went to LifeCycle and did a reset of all the options listed.  Currently it is at erasing the disks and states it will take 139 hours to complete.  

There is a warning not to turn off or CTRL+ALT+DEL until it is finished.  Since there is nothing on the drives, is it safe to reboot the system or am I stuck at waiting 5 days for it to complete?

• 

8.5K Posts

March 11th, 2019 07:00

Bfry,

Would you confirm the process you are running, was this deleting the Virtual Disk or was it another process you started. It should be fine, but I wanted to clarify the process currently being run.

Thanks.

2.5K Posts

March 12th, 2019 09:00

you clicked secure erase,  and that was wrong.   (my guess RAID 6 ?)

why do that? unless selling used drives, that do not have the built in 1 second SED  erase features.

no goal stated,

what are you attempting?  sell the system. or just drives.

or re-purposing the whole thing.

if that is the case all you needed to do is format  the drives from windows side.

ir moving the drives and no data with them,  that is another matter,  we remove the raid meta data on them

2 ways , one in Control+R rom mode, or on OMSA.

the omsa manual to read is here.

page. 156

here "delete virtual disk"  Not ERASE , secure, which is CIA level erase and crazy long time...

the CIA (DOD) crushes the drives, (or grinds them to chips) the DELL erase is 1 step less good, but long. dig?

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/dell-openmanage-server-administrator-9.1_users-guide4_en-us.pdf

2.5K Posts

March 12th, 2019 09:00

if powered down mid secure erase

then they are now foreign/alien drives, 

then you must ask how to undo that.     (1/2 the meta data is there (aborted) , it becomes ALIEN)

ask if there now.

No Events found!