Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2013 06:00

Failed PERC 5i battery replaced now shows as missing

Hi All,

I had a failed battery in our PE2950. I ordered one off of Ebay new and replaced it last week. I then went into OpenManage and ran the learn cycle. After a week I went in and now it is showing as non-critical. I will be going to my DC next week to troubleshoot but I assume I can only plug the wire into the battery one way, correct? Does this appear to be a faulty battery?

Controller PERC 5/i Integrated (Slot Embedded)
ID                  : 0
Status              : Non-Critical
Name                : Battery 0
State               : Missing
Recharge Count      : Not Applicable
Max Recharge Count  : Not Applicable
Learn State         : Active
Next Learn Time     : 0 hours
Maximum Learn Delay : 7 days 0 hours

56 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 11:00

Just wanted to chime in regarding new batteries being reported "missing" by the RAID controller.  I recently purchased 8 new batteries to replace in my aging fleet of PE2950's with PERC 6i.  Prior to deploying in production, I wanted to test the batteries and give them a bit of a charge on the test bench 2950.  I would power off the system, swap in the new battery, power up, and get the battery "missing" error.   No amount of time with the system turned on would get the battery to a "charging" state. I was in complete disbelief that 6 out of the 8 batteries were bad.  I was about to return them to the vendor when I discovered the system power supply cords must be completely disconnected from wall power, and the motherboard completely drained of residual power  before swapping the battery!!   Once I performed this step before each battery swap, all batteries tested good and are charging !!

94 Posts

May 24th, 2013 07:00

Yes it is on the latest version of both

Firmware Version                              : 5.2.2-0072

Version                    : 2.7.0

990 Posts

May 24th, 2013 07:00

What is the current firmware level on your Perc 5/i?  It should be here: Dell PERC 5/i Integrated, v.5.2.2-0072, A09

Check OpenManage to see where the firmware is at.   The bios should also be at 2.7.0 as well.

Regards,

990 Posts

May 24th, 2013 08:00

Thank you for the updated information.  It could be either a bad battery or the controller's charging function is failing.  When you go onsite, I would take both; a replacement controller, either a Perc 5/i or a 6/i and another battery. The learn cycle should clear the missing error, but it did not.   This battery is still available online:

Regards,

94 Posts

May 24th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the information. I have ordered another battery. If it doesn't work I would say I need to look at another Perc card.

94 Posts

May 31st, 2013 06:00

I cleaned the contacts and that seemed to have fixed the issue. The status is now showing ready.

Thanks for all of the help.

39 Posts

August 16th, 2013 23:00

What 'contacts?' The Perc 5/i contacts?

94 Posts

August 17th, 2013 06:00

I just blew some pressurized air between the contact of the cable of the battery and the thing you plug it into.

1 Message

April 29th, 2014 15:00

omg that is both funny and possibly helpful. I'm in almost the exact same situation with a PE 2900 and PERC 6/i; ordered battery on Ebay, replaced; same error on front panel and in OMSA; updated firmware, rebooted; no dice... I will try the air solution; this server's environment is crazy-dusty so it's a good call. Thanks for sharing.

1 Rookie

• 

3 Posts

September 10th, 2014 10:00

Hi,

After changing the PERC battery it needs some time(Min 8 Hrs.) to re charge. Also attached image showing that the battery learn cycle was started. Please wait until it completes. Mostly your problem will be solved and battery will shows normal. 

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

September 12th, 2018 05:00

Needs a firmware upgrade:

Dell PERC H740P Mini/ H740P Adapter/ H840 Adapter RAID Controllers firmware version 50.3.0-1512

Fixes & Enhancements
Fixes
-Fixes an issue where on a rare occasion the battery missing message could be seen

Rare my **bleep**!

1 Rookie

• 

35 Posts

September 12th, 2018 05:00

Same problem, with OpenManage 9.1.0:

Name Battery
Status !
State Missing

Using the Drac tool, no errors showing. Satus of the battery = green tick.

This server was purchased in May (4 months ago) so I cannot believe it is failed already.

No Events found!