Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

November 21st, 2016 12:00

Failure Predicted HDD - what is the process to swap out a faulty drive

Hi,  We have a PowerEdge R710 with a PERC H700 controller.  This morning when I came into work after a 2 week vacation I had a hard drive blinking amber and an alert on the LCD.  I know that the drives are hot swappable so I pulled the failed drive out and put it back re-seating it.  I later checked it and it is now blinking amber and green.  From what I've read in other blog posts it means the drive is bad and needs to be replaced.  It also says that I needed to take it offline before hot swapping it.

So I started OpenManage and took the failing drive offline.  

In OpenManage it shows the following.  The spare drive is now showing as Spun up and Rebuilding.   The failed drive is showing as Ready and Spun Up, in the drop down of Available Tasks I can blink, unblink and clear it.  

1) Do I need to do anything further with the failed drive before replacing it?  

2) Do I need to wait for the Rebuilding drive to finish before swapping out the failed drive?  

3) Once I put the new drive in do I need to do anything in OpenManage so that is available to the system?  Will the rebuilding drive remain the active and the new drive the spare?  Etc.

Thanks for the help!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 21st, 2016 15:00

ok ... just making sure I gave you the right info :)

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

What RAID configuration is this? How many drives? Can you identify each of them and their status (or a screenshot)?

7 Posts

There are 8 drives total.  Only 0 & 1 are RAID 1 and the rest are RAID 5.  I think everything is ok now though.  The rebuild finished so I swapped out the failed drive and replaced it.  When I look at it now it shows it as Online and the original spare as Ready so I think we are back to where we should be.

No Events found!