Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2004 02:00

Fatal Error: Controller Kernel self test failed.

Can you help me with this? This is the bootup screen sequence.  Thank you very much in advance. If this is just a BIOS or Firmware issue can you provide a links to the downloadable firmware. Mind you I am unable to boot to any OS other than from the floppy. 

PowerEdge 2400/600

Embedded Server Management Firmware revision 5021

System Backplane firmware revision 5.24

!!*****Firmware is out of date, please update...*****

Dell PowerEdge Expandable RAID Controller 2/Si, BIOS v2.1-3 Build 2939

(c) Adaptec etc........

Waiting for Array Controller #0 to start.....

Fatal Error: Controller Kernel self test failed.

< >

Array Controller not started

Controller POST command failed

< >

BIOS Not Installed!

Adaptec AIC-7880 SCSI BIOS v2.01.05 DELL 002

(c) 1998 Adaptec etc......

<< for SCSISelect (TM) Utility>>>

SCSI ID:5    NEC    CDROM

SCSIID:6     ARCHIVE     PYTHON 06408xxx

Starting Windows 98 from floppy......

6 Posts

January 14th, 2004 03:00

PS, I was able to succesfully update flash image using the Dell PERC 2/Si Firmware Adaptec Flash utility V2.7-1 B3560. Verified it too. Flash Image file build 3571. So why will it not work?

6 Posts

January 14th, 2004 04:00

I was also able to just update the ESM firmware sucessfully. But still get the same error.

2.5K Posts

January 15th, 2004 19:00

Hi,

This problem could be a hardware failure (hard drive, backplane or cable) or it is possible the Service Tag Number is not readable in the System BIOS.

Can you see the logical drive(s) using FDISK.exe? If so, the hardware is probably ok.

Later versions of the Perc firmware require the Service Tag Number be entered properly in the System BIOS

Directions for entering a Service Tag Number:

1. Create the Asset Tag utility diskette from:
ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/utility/assetA00.exe
2. After making the diskette, perform a safe reboot to the diskette created in step #1.
3. After booting to the diskette, enter the following command (substitute the actual 5-7 digit system Service Tag for the X's); asset /s XXXXXXX
4. Once this action has completed, the system can be rebooted.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2004 02:00

I was not able to see the drives in fdisk. I hit and went into the RAID controllers setup and it came up. But if I tried to select Configure Container or any one of the other two selections I got an error saying Controller not responding. I went into System Setup (BIOS) and set the on board controller to SCSI instead of RAID and that worked. I can see all three drives. I Partitioned drive 0 and installed Windows 2000 Server on it. Then partitioned and formated the other two drive. So the drives are good as well as the backplane. Is the RAID controller separate from the SCSI controller?

2.5K Posts

January 16th, 2004 10:00

Hi,

Yes, the raid controller is a separate device, embedded on the motherboard. The only replacable parts are the Raid enabler key and the Raid Dimm. I would recommend removing, inspecting and reseating these 2 components to ensure a good positive connection.

Did you check the System BIOS to ensure the Service Tag Number is entered? The raid controller will not work if the Service Tag Number is missing or corrupt.

Thanks 

6 Posts

January 16th, 2004 13:00

By the way, Thank you so much for all your help. I'll re-seat those components tonight. This server was given to me by a client that does not wish to invest any more money into it since they have brand new Dell rackmount servers now. So I have a new toy to play with.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2004 13:00

Sorry, yes it is. 621H20B. Located in the lower right hand corner of page 1 of 2 along with the system specs.  

3 Posts

September 17th, 2004 19:00

Did this ever get solved,  I have the exact same error.  I updated all the bios and all the ESM firmware, as well as the 2/si controller firm ware and it won't go away... HELP!!

sburich,

If you tried the steps previously offered and they did not resolve it, try pulling the hard drives and see if the message goes away.  You might have a hard drive hanging the bus.

Jason

3 Posts

Oh and I made sure the service tag is in the bios, I even ran the asset /s XXXXX just incase.. NO CHANGE!  :-(     Thanx for any help you can give...

3 Posts

Tried it....  It was running fine this morning as an NT4 box, I know,, ha ha...  I was about to upgrade it so I was installing openmanage agent, and manager just to check out everything...  Then I reboot it to add Bios 9, It was at 8, and bam,,,,  got no love....   Do I need a new back plane?  or controller?  Is there anyway to things back to default...?   Thanx for the help..

September 17th, 2004 20:00

Sburich,

Just to clarify, you have:  checked for service tag in bios; removed hard drives and booted; reseated raid key and raid dimm; and reseated backplane, cables and daughtercard (if applicable).  If it is hanging at this point and will not go further, I would remove the drives and test, then remove the cable to the backplane and test, and finally jumper the nvram clear jumper.  This jumper could read nvram or isa clear.  Add the shunt to both sides and power up.  You should receive a message about the jumper being on.  Shut down and remove the jumper and then without adding anything back boot to the bios.  Change the bios back to 'raid enabled' and reboot again.  At this point you will get messages warning about data loss, but it shouldn't be an issue since you still have the drives out.  Acknowledge the errors and then shut down again.  At this point, reconnect what is disconnected and add the hard drives back.  Boot up and accept changes if asked.  See what happens from there.  If that doesn't resolve it, it is probably the motherboard or romb components.  If you have any others that you can swap components with, try the pieces one at a time to try and isolate it.

good luck,

Jason 

No Events found!