Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2011 08:00

H700 cachecade using SATA SSD with SAS disks?

Does anyone know if it's possible to use a SATA SSD for cachecade when all of the other disks are SAS?  The Dell configurator is complaining that all disks need to be the same type.  They do have a SAS SSD, but it is enormously expensive, so that's not an option.

Also, if anyone has used cachecade in general, how well did it work?

• 

8.4K Posts

November 29th, 2011 09:00

Brian01,

I am not certain of the server you have, but if you are mixing then the SSD will need to be in slot 0 or 1 and then the remaining SAS after that. Now cachecade isn't supported by Dell so I am not familiar with it. It looks to be software raid based, so it isn't recommended to mix software and hardware based raid.

14 Posts

November 29th, 2011 12:00

Cachecade better be supported by Dell, given that it's one of the main features of the H700 controller.  

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

It seems I forgot to mention I was talking about the H700.  Looking to buy a new server including this feature.

9.3K Posts

November 29th, 2011 12:00

LSI's CacheCade can use an SSD for extra cache for a SATA or SSD raid set.

I didn't know that Dell's PERCs had this feature (enabled).

9.3K Posts

November 30th, 2011 08:00

I was trying to explain to "Dell - Chris H" what CacheCade was, but the link is useful as it does show that the H700 and H800 (only if they have 1GB NV cache) can support this. The list of restrictions and limitations is long, but not too bad.

• 

8.4K Posts

November 30th, 2011 09:00

Sorry. I knew that the H700 LSI has it embedded. I thought you were using a different form. Have you attempted using the SSD in slot 0 or 1 yet?

14 Posts

November 30th, 2011 09:00

I am doing research before I buy a new server.  I'm not going to buy it unless I know it works first.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 30th, 2011 10:00

Review CacheCade...

thessdreview.com/.../lsi-megaraid-cachecade-pro-2-0-review-total-storage-acceleration-realized

just a comment...

It about time LSI and the rest of the raid industry got off their duffs to provide a decent increase to raid performance. The raid industry has lagged behind increasing performance in line with server performance increases for years; a stride like this should have been out years back. For years I have been wondering how raid manufacturers have relied on the small amount of ram to cache...even a small office can flood the cache ram on most raid cards, no less a hammered raid server in an enterprise environment.

1 Message

September 11th, 2014 15:00

I found this thread before I bought my servers wanting to do the same thing. After speaking with a few dell reps, of which many weren't too knowledgeable, i finally got one who was able to tell me with confidence that it would work.

I can confirm that you can use two SATA SSDs for CacheCade, with all of the other disks SAS. 

I have this running on two R720s. 

January 15th, 2019 10:00

Losing my mind, I have been running Cachecade in my R610 on a H700 the one with 1GB. I see the reply that says the SSD must reside in slot 0/1. My SSD for cachcade isn't in slot 0/1 yet it's configured in the H700. Does it mean I have derived zero value from the device? That's gotta . If it were you would you: Keep trying to gain value from cachecade or Take the two slots and just RAID1 two larger SSD's and call it a day. If the slot 0/1 thing is true, I'm not moving my drives around to capture that value. I didn't see this ever mentioned in docs. I'm **bleep** off all this time.

No Events found!