Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 6th, 2015 10:00

How do I break a Raid 1 array so I can assign the 2nd disk as its own VD?

I'm setting up my system and want to stress test the disks.  It came with 2 disks in a raid 1 and I temporarily put a windows server on it so I could run some utilities.  Turns out in order to get to all of the drives I need to assign them as Raid 0 VD's in order to surface test them.

Can I break the Raid 1, make the first disk that still has the windows server on it it's own VD raid 0 and then assign the second disk to it's own raid 0 VD?

If I can't than I'll just wipe the array, set up the disks and have to reinstall the OS.  Not the end of the world.  Was hoping to save a few hours.

Roveer

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 6th, 2015 10:00

No, you cannot make an array smaller OR decrease the number of disks in an array.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 6th, 2015 13:00

"I need to assign them as Raid 0 VD's in order to surface test them."

Leave as raid 1 and the Windows install......

If you run Patrol Reads manually it will test the complete surface of the array. Run it multiple times if you feel you need to. If your want safety  institute a hot spare.

If you want to stress test it, run Intel I/Ometer on a continuous basis, set parameters so the  disk LEDs blaze away for 12 hours or more.

Ps Hardly anyone stress test disks anymore, it was the norm when MFM,RRL, IDE ruled , When MFM and RLL ruled, you could actually low level format drives, Since you were using the drives head to write sectors,, sector alignment was not that accurate, thus there was a much greater need to test drives. Todays drives are low level formatted/tested at the factory, sector are accurately written and tested at the factory. Basically if do not have a $30k machine to test a drive, your not doing much.

No Events found!