Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2008 18:00

I need to reconfigure RAID on my brand new 2950

I just received a PE2950 with 6 73GB SCSI drives.  The machine has a Perc61 card, and when I open Open Manager>Storage>PER 6i, it shows two connectors.  Connector 0 shows four of the drives and connector 1 shows the other two drives, however it appears that all 6 are preconfigured in a RAID5 configuration.  I would like to reconfigure them with 2 drives as a RAID1 and three as a RAID5 with the remaining disk as a hot spare.  It seems that I can't do this through Open Manager, as the check boxes are all greyed out......sugesstions?  Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

9.3K Posts

August 21st, 2008 19:00

You're going to have to wipe the config and reinstall Windows from media.

You can expand a raid set, but you can't shrink it (from a 6-disk raid 5 (yielding 5 drives worth of disk space) to a 2-disk raid 1).

I'd suggest to use the Dell server setup CD, boot to this and select to reconfigure the raid and do it in there. Alternatively if you feel comfortable, you can also wipe the config in the raid controller bios and create the raid sets the way you want them.

Note: I would agree that a raid 1 for the OS and then a raid 5 or raid 10 for the data drives is a better choice than just 1 large raid 5.

2 Posts

August 21st, 2008 19:00

Thanks, I figured that was the case and ended up rebuilding the configuration within the BIOS utility.  Resintalling OS now.  Thanks for the reply.
Message Edited by AmbitIT on 08-21-2008 03:26 PM
No Events found!