Highlighted

Maximum Internal Storage Dell PowerEdge T300

Jump to solution

Hello,

I own a  Dell PowerEdge T300 server. The specification sheet  mentions the amount of 4TB as Maximum Internal Storage.

Is this the limit for storage? Is the limitation a software issue or was it a hardware restriction of the time that the sheet was published?

Is it possible to have a RAID5 with 4 x 2TB HDDs (Capacity 6TB) in this server?

I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

RE: Maximum Internal Storage Dell PowerEdge T300

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can create arrays larger than 4TB, however the T300 can only boot to arrays 2TB or smaller due to the limitation of MBR and it does not support UEFI.  

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Outdated documentation.

If using the PERC 6, then 2TB is the maximum disk size you can use.

As Robert mentioned, your "boot disk" must be smaller than 2TB to boot on this machine, so like two small drives in a RAID 1 for OS/programs, then your 4TB RAID 5 for data is perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi,

You can create arrays larger than 4TB, however the T300 can only boot to arrays 2TB or smaller due to the limitation of MBR and it does not support UEFI.  

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Outdated documentation.

If using the PERC 6, then 2TB is the maximum disk size you can use.

As Robert mentioned, your "boot disk" must be smaller than 2TB to boot on this machine, so like two small drives in a RAID 1 for OS/programs, then your 4TB RAID 5 for data is perfectly fine.

0 Kudos
server_monkey
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

I have recently bought a T300 and have PERC 6 on it. I have the below drives:

1x 500GB (RAID 0 - 100GB VD for WS2012)

2 x 1TB

1 x 2TB

Is it possible to set up another RAID 0 for the bottom 3 drives and the remaining from the top drive to create a VD of 4.4TB?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

No, you can't use lopsided configurations. When you create an array, you also create a disk group, which limits where drives can then be used.

It is also not possible to create a 4TB RAID 0 with your 1TB and 2TB drives. You shouldn't be using RAID 0 anyway - there are only a handful of legitimate uses for RAID 0.

What are you going to be running on this? Without knowing and assuming that the services and data will be at least somewhat important, I would recommend 2x1TB in RAID 1 for the OS and important shared data, then get another 2TB disk to mirror with the existing 2TB disk.

0 Kudos
server_monkey
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I am basically using R0 to create a larger storage disk. I know R0 can be an issue for data loss but I am planning on doing daily incremental backups to an external HD.

What I want to do is have 2 VDs from my 4 PDs. One 100gb for OS and the other 4.4tb as storage.

I will be using it to store music, movies, MS data files and program data such as Sage.

0 Kudos