Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2011 08:00

Mouse support in Acronis Disk Director 10 on a Dell server

I have a Dell PowerVault 500 with several hard drives in a RAID array, presented to Windows as a single 1,395 Gb drive, seperated into C: (12 Gb) and D: (1,383 Gb).

I am able to boot the server with Acronis Disk Director 10 and see both logical drives sharing a single 'physical' drive, so that in theory I can 'steal' some space from D: and give it to C:.

However.....my USB mouse did not work, and the server has no PS/2 slots. I was able to try a PS/2 mouse with a USB converter, but this did not work either. I restarted several times with the mouse in different USB slots, but nothing would make the mouse work.

I eventually tried to navigate through the software using the keyboard alone, but when it came to re-sizing the D: drive, when I entered a smaller figure for the disk size, it re-sized it from the right (and I need to shrink it from the left, so as to leave the unallocated space adjacent to the C: drive).

Does anybody have any suggestions for how i can get a mouse to work within Acronis, or a way around this by using the keyboard ?

Thanks in advance, and no I don't have any Acronis support any more :-(

Ian

548 Posts

December 11th, 2011 22:00

The original and now quite old PS/2 mouse was just that, a mouse only able to use the PS/2 protocols. The newer mouse had a physical PS/2 plug while others also came with a USB plug, the later having a USB->PS/2 adapter in the box for using you new mouse on a old non USB capable system. However the newer internal mouse electronics were smarter than the old mice and could detect if USB or PS/2 protocols were being used and select the appropriate protocol at start-up. As such, these USB->PS/2 adapters were just dumb mechanical converters as the logic was all in the mouse itself. These dumb passive adapters could never work with the true PS/2 only old mouse.

Smart converter on the other hand had electronics in them and actually converted the USB protocol to PS/2 protocol. They were normally used to connect to systems with no PS/2 ports. An active converter should allow your old PS/2 mouse to work but the OS will see a USB mouse and/or see the adapter and a USB mouse. Either way, some sort of driver will be needed and if it has not been included on your Acroinis boot disk, it will not work.

So check your mouse and adapter hardware works on a desk top system, both in the PS/2 and USB ports and via the adapter. If they work, the problem is a driver issue with the Acronis boot disk in which case your best bet is to ask Acronis for help. You may have to argue with Acronis, that as a paid customer, the product is not fit for use and either they should refund or help, I suspect they will help. Otherwise the Acronis forum may have info on how to add the needed drivers to your boot disk.

Now I am not familiar with Disk Director, BUT can't you install ADD locally on the server, then resize the partitions within the OS where you would have a working mouse, then remove the app if you don't want it permanently on the machine?

11 Posts

December 12th, 2011 02:00

How about doing the whole operation via Remote Desktop?

9.3K Posts

December 12th, 2011 07:00

When booting to the Acronis rescue CD, you're not in the server's OS, so there is no remote desktop.

Or do you mean the DRAC or KVMoIP?

No Events found!