Start a Conversation

Unsolved

T

5 Posts

November 25th, 2019 21:00

Offline not an option in OMSA on predicted fail hard drive

I need to replace a hot swappable hard drive that is in a predicted failure state on our PowerEdge R330. This is a first for me I must admit. The only options I see on the available tasks are "blink" and "unblink." I read about from someone having a similar problem and one person said to try using an old version of firefox with OMSA and in another thread I read that it could be the OMSA software is out of date and to Power Down the server. Remove the drive then boot back up with no drive. Once it's booted put in the new drive and it will start to rebuild.

Can someone confirm these steps or give some direction? Thanks!

2.9K Posts

November 26th, 2019 08:00

Updating OMSA would definitely make for a good next step. If that doesn't work, you might also flash the iDRAC. You can also try stopping all the OpenManage services, then restarting them. This commonly brings the option back, too. There should be about 4 services for OpenManage Server Administrator listed in the services pane. You would just want to stop all 4, then cascade start them.

November 26th, 2019 11:00

The server is a video server for Avigilon and today the drive went to a failed state. They told me since it was failed I could just remove the drive even though the "offline" wasn't an option. I replaced the disk and now it's rebuilding. here is my next question. The old drive says "removed" in OMSA and the new one is "rebuilding" How do I get the old drive out of the physical drive list? Will it go away once the new drive is done rebuilding?

November 26th, 2019 13:00

Now OMSA shows two drives rebuilding even thought there is only one physical drive that was replaced showing a total of 5 drives. I'm hoping that after the rebuilding is done it only shows the disk as just one. If I log into IDRAC it only shows 4 physical drives which is what it should be showing.

2.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2019 15:00

Sorry for the delay, I've been out.

Let me first ask where we're at, now that the server has had some time to complete its rebuild. Are things looking like you expect? If not, would you be able to upload an image to the thread?

No Events found!