Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2017 08:00

PERC H710 Disk State Foreign

We have a Dell T620 server that one of the server drives was flashing orange.  I used Open Management to review the error and on the RAID 1 configuration that contains our OS (SBS 2011) 1 of the drives indicates that it is spun up and the state is foreign.  The other drives in the RAID 5 configuration are fine.  I have the replacement drive from Dell, but I'm having difficulties location the proper steps for replacing the drive.  If you need screenshots within the Open Management Panel, please let me know.  Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Vj

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 08:00

Simply remove the drive (while on and running), wait 30-60 seconds, then insert the replacement. If it doesn't start rebuilding automatically, then assign the READY disk as a hot-spare. If the new disk shows as FOREIGN, then you need to CLEAR the foreign config before assigning it as a hot-spare.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2017 09:00

Yes: Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration (link at top of page), then Foreign/Clear from dropdown menu of Available Tasks for the controller.

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 09:00

Thanks for the quick response.  I'll give that a shot in a few hours.  If I need to CLEAR the FOREIGN configuration before assigning as a hot-spare, do I perform this task in the Open Manage interface?  

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 10:00

Ignore that last question.  I found a link regarding options after I hit the Execute button.  I'll follow up once I attempt to replace the drive.  

1 Rookie

• 

4 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 10:00

From that screen I get a bunch of options.  The one it looks to be is Foreign Configuration Operations and then I can choose an Execute button.  I'm not sure after I select the Execute button if it then gives me the option to Clear or if it just clears it right away.  

2 Posts

December 10th, 2019 04:00

Hi, Sorry for the Hijack, I'm in the same boat.. When I select Foreign, and execute I get

'No virtual disks found' -
No Events found!