Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2013 17:00

Perc 5/i Hotswappable in Linux

Hi everybody, hope y'all going well. I'm having a little issue using my Poweredge 2950. First I also own a Poweredge 1950 which runs on Oracle Linux. With this one, if I add or remove an hotswap drive (except the OS drive) the OS disk utility see it and automatically make it readable. But with the 2950 (who works with Perc 5/i), to add drive I always need to reboot the machine and enter the raid utility to set the physical disk as a virtual, and the os will see it.

The 2950 will run with CentOS and with will be use as data storage to I absolutely need to have them Hotswappable via the OS.

I tried updating the firmware but it does nothing, I know i'm not a professionnal using server but this is disturbing

Thank you for your suggestion

• 

6.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 18:00

Hello nicklayb

Some of our controllers are capable of operating in JBOD/Non-RAID mode. I suspect that your 1950 has one of these controllers. The controllers capable of non-RAID mode will default new HDDs to this mode and they will be seen by the OS.

The PERC 5 and most of our RAID controllers do not have a non-RAID mode. Every drive in the server must be part of a virtual disk in order for the operating system to see it. Because of this you have to configure the drives as single disk RAID 0's to be seen, or any other RAID level.

This is not something that can be corrected. It is how the card functions. The PERC 5 does not have JBOD/non-RAID functionality, so any time you add a new drive you will need to add/create a virtual disk with it to make it visible to the operating system.

Thanks

3 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 21:00

Thank you for your fast answer. I understand the meaning of the way it works and why, the thing I don't really understand, is the use of the hotswap bays. I mean, the front backplane is fully hotswap but the system has to be restart to take effects. Also, is this working way is stable and reliable ?

And, as last question (i promise!), will an PCI-e SSD will be bootable in the Poweredge 2950 ?

Thank you for all your help.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 22:00

I'm not sure you are quite understanding exactly how it works.  It is not the reboot that makes the disk insertion "take effect", it is the creation of the virtual disk on that disk that makes it take effect.  As Daniel said, the PERC does not support non-RAID, so the PERC cannot present the OS with the new disk until a virtual disk has been created with it.  If you had access to the RAID controller from the OS, you could configure the single-disk RAID 0 from the OS, without the need to reboot.  Without OMSA (OpenManage Server Administrator) to communicate with the controller from the OS, the only way to tell the controller to configure the drive is to boot to the CTRL-R utility.

You have two options to arrive at your desired operation:

1. Switch to a controller that supports non-RAID (like a SAS 5/6 or a third-party card, like your 1950), or

2. Install OMSA in CentOS, so that you can manage the VD's from within the OS.

Maybe Daniel (or someone) can tell you how or confirm whether or not OMSA can be installed in CentOS - I'm not much of a Linux guy.

21 Posts

July 4th, 2013 06:00

We use OMSA on our CentOS servers, it's quite easy to setup: http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/OMSA#Yum_setup Once installed simply point your browser at: https://yourserverip:1311

3 Posts

July 4th, 2013 14:00

Thank you all for your answer. I'm trying to install the OMSA package on PE2950 and running CentOS but it end up at :

sudo] password for serveur: 
Downloading GPG key: http://linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/OMSA_7.2.1/RPM-GPG-KEY-dell
Importing key into RPM.
erreur: impossible d'avoir le verrou exclusif sur /var/lib/rpm/Packages
erreur: ne peut ouvrir l'index Packages en utilisant db3 - Opération non permise (1)
erreur: impossible d'ouvrir la base de données Package dans /var/lib/rpm
erreur: /tmp/GPG-KEY-4185-lRlmhc: key 1 import failed.

I don't really what I'm doing wrong, if there is a way to install the repo bypasse the gpgkey or just download the rpm file I'll install 'em manually

Thank you !

21 Posts

July 7th, 2013 06:00

That error means you either aren't running the command as root, you have other updates running or your repository manager possibly failed in the middle of some previous installations.

I would first try

sudo su root

and then retry the command

No Events found!