Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 9th, 2012 02:00

Perc 6/i: How long does importing Foreign Disk takes?

Hello,

I have a Dell T410, perc 6/i, RAID 5, and 5 hard drives. 2 of them are showing as "foreign" this morning.

I received the ".....press 'f' to import foreign configuration...." message  and did press the 'f' 30 minutes ago but the screen is still blank.

all 5 drives have green LEDs, and the foreign one has the blinking green LED On; but that's it....!

Should I wait or force restart and try again ?

Thanks in advance

• 

166 Posts

August 9th, 2012 02:00

Hi zaidyy

Normally import foreign will take immediate effect.

So basically, after you have pressed F, the screen goes blank?

I would suggest you to reboot the server again and boot into CTRL + R to check the 5x hard drives status as well as the RAID 5 status.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2012 02:00

10 minutes after opening the thread, I saw the light (on my LCD of course!)...Login screen was finally there

I ended up with a working windows server, one failed drive which was not imported successfully, and one imported successfully.

I backed up whatever data I had (not much because we already make daily backups)...replaced the failed unit...waited until re-building was completed.....restarted.....second HDD showed foreign again.....import was not successful this time.....replaced it with a new unit.....rebuilt.....and there you have it!...fully functional server in less than 48hrs with no data loss.

Thanks to a good backup and a couple of spare HDDs I purchased with the server 3 years ago!

• 

166 Posts

August 13th, 2012 04:00

Hi zaidyy

Thanks for the update!

Totally agree with you, consistent backup is always important.

No Events found!