Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 31st, 2006 06:00

Pleaset help! Adding a new drive on an existing array using OpenManage Server Administrator

Hi,

I just got a PE 1800 with 3 - 73g hard drive in RAID5 single virtual volume.  I need to increase the diskspace really soon.  The controller is a PERC 4e/DC.  I'd like to get another 73g hd (4th one) to increase/exapand my drive space.  Can this be done using the OpenManage Server Administrator?  I saw a couple of articles indicating that I have to go to the the RAID BIOS or the Dell Server CD ad boot up using it.  I'd like to configure this using the OpenManage Server Administrator software in Windows 2003.

Please help.

thanks!

2 Intern

• 

829 Posts

May 31st, 2006 14:00

< ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Read the section titled: Reconfigure Virtual Disk Wizard

14 Posts

May 31st, 2006 14:00

So with the reconfigure, will that be non-destructive? I need to make sure that the data is intact. I suppose after i do it, there will be free space and i'd have to use diskpart or something to get the free space in windows?

I was hoping to for an article or something that shows step-by-step on how to make this happen.

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

829 Posts

May 31st, 2006 15:00

Time depends on amount of data and activity on the array - about 15GB per hour.  Array will not be in a degraded state - just a backgroud reconfig.  Users will not see any changes to the array.  You can add as many drives as you like all at once (to the max of the enclosure of course).

14 Posts

Thanks. I'm adding a 73g hd, i'm assuming that this will take hours. During that time, will the array just be on degraded mode and users can still access their data off that array? Can I add more than one HD at a time?

14 Posts

Great thanks again. So just to summarize, if I don't change the Raid level (right now on raid 5) it is non-destructive. I will go to reconfigure and will see my new drive and will have the option to add the new drive to the existing array (virtual disk).

Will give me some sort of warning/indicator if I select the wrong thing and that it will be destructive?

Thanks.

2 Intern

• 

829 Posts

Just choose reconfigure and add the new disk.  Make sure not to change the raid type and it is nondesctructive.  Diskpart will be necessary to extend the partition.

NOTE:  Any time you mess with your array you should backup your data!

59 Posts

June 6th, 2006 21:00

Storage Management actually does not allow destructive reconfigures. You can only do those in the controller BIOS.

24 Posts

June 28th, 2006 12:00

I would also like to expand the storage to the array but the option wasn't listed.  After reading the help, it saying you can only reconfig if you only have 1 virtual disk.  I currently have 3 virtual disk on that array, is there other way to expand one of the virtual disk?  Is it not possible to add the new disk directly into the array first rather then to the virtual disk?
No Events found!