Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 10th, 2014 13:00

!!!PowerEdge 1750 Raid0 2HDD Help Needed!!!

We have a RAID0 with two drives, 0:0 & 0:1.  Drive 0:1 failed.  The light on the drive is blinking red, and array manager indicates it is in a failed state.  We replaced drive 0:1 with a new drive.  This server supports hot-plug drives, so we pulled the failed drive while the server was running, and the inserted the new drive.  The new drive blinked green temporarily, and then turned red.  We checked the status of the drive in both Array Manager and the SAS Bios, and see the status of the drive as failed.  We were under the impression that this drive is hot swappable, and should automatically rebuild. 

Can someone please advise how to check if automatic rebuild is enabled and/or how to manually rebuild.  Important!  We cannot do anything that will risk losing data on the existing drive in the array (0:0).

Thank You in advance for helping us out!!!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 10th, 2014 14:00

"Is there a high risk of loss on the good drive (understood we can't hold you to this) if we manually rebuild by right-click>select rebuild?"

There is no more risk in starting the rebuild manually than letting it start automatically.  It is just giving the controller permission to use the disk for the rebuild in the event it did not start it automatically when the drive was inserted - for whatever reason.

"It has the original firmware that came with the box.  We have been told by Dell previously that updating firmware may resolve this type of issue, but they always warn that total data loss is a real possibility.  Being an older server, we elected not to risk this until we can replace the server."

Firmware is the most likely reason it did not rebuild automatically.  Dell must tell you that data loss is a possibility to relieve themselves of liability.  Ever see Dumb and Dumber?  "One in a million."  "So, you're saying there is a chance."  Hundreds, maybe thousands of PERC firmware updates and I have never seen "data loss" occur from updating the firmware.  However, I understand your hesitation.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Well, from what you described, you do NOT have a RAID 0.  RAID 0 is "striping" across disks and has NO redundancy, and if you had been running a RAID 0, the game would have been over when the disk failed.

So, assuming this is a RAID 1:

Hot-swap does not necessarily mean it will rebuild automatically.  The automatic rebuild can depend on many things, including settings, firmware of drive and/or controller, presence of a configuration on the drive, etc., not to mention that it is possible that your "new" disk is DOA.

If the rebuild doesn't happen automatically, you can start it manually in Array Manager by right-clicking the disk and selecting Rebuild or assigning it as a hot-spare.

What system is this?

Understood, thank you again for your help.  I am buying a copy of D&D today, and will review thoroughly!  I also don't change my oil - there always a possibility the cap won't go back on the drain pan!  Seriously, thank you very much.

Thank you very much for your reply - I very much appreciate your help.  You are absolutely correct, this is a RAID1.  It's an older system (PE 1750) with a Perc 4/DI.  It has the original firmware that came with the box.  We have been told by Dell previously that updating firmware may resolve this type of issue, but they always warn that total data loss is a real possibility.  Being an older server, we elected not to risk this until we can replace the server.

We purchased the drive from Velocity Tech., on recommendation from Dell, and they helped us match the drive exactly (same manufacturer, speed, and size).  When we first plugged in the drive it blinked green for a moment, and then turned red blinking (and continues to show failed in array manager).  We have typically seen on successful rebuilds the same behavior, after turning red, the drive then blinks both red and green while rebuilding.

We have images of newer servers via CA D2D, but this OS is old, and doesn't support.  That's another reason we hesitate to risk data loss on the working disk.

Is there a high risk of loss on the good drive (understood we can't hold you to this) if we manually rebuild by right-click>select rebuild?  If so, maybe getting another drive, and assigning as hot-spare is the best option?

No Events found!