Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 9th, 2016 12:00

PowerEdge 2900 Hot Swap

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 running windows SBS 2003, we will be decommissioning soon but we've just had a drive start to go bad - yellow light flashing and error message on server LCD: "E1 H10 HDD1 Fault."   regular daily and weekly backups aren't running properly due to corruption, so I imaged the array as a safety measure.  I have purchased a new drive identical to the existing 4 drives, which are configured in a Raid 1.

The drive is a :
341-4430 750GB 7.2K RPM Universal SATA 3Gbps 3.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive

The raid controller is:
341-5754           1            Integrated SAS/SATA RAID 1 PERC 6/i Integrated/SAS6/iR

Can I just leave the server running and pull the bad drive, and slide the new drive in, without running any applications before or after that procedure, and will the raid rebuild itself automatically?

I know that i need to replace the server.  But my immediate need is to solve the bad drive issue, and I would appreciate advice or a link to instructions for this procedure.

We are a small non-profit and have no staff and no budget for assistance, or I would have called in some assistance.

Thanks

Jeff

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 10th, 2016 10:00

It is a Dell application that interfaces directly with the hardware. It should be installed on any Dell server you manage. On the downloads page, it is called OpenManage Server Administrator - Managed Node ... use the 32-bit version.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

November 10th, 2016 07:00

Yes, pull the drive while the server is ON, wait at least 60 seconds, then insert the replacement. It may rebuild automatically, but there are many reasons why it may not ... if it doesn't, then you will need to assign the disk as a hot-spare using the OpenManage software (Storage, PERC, Virtual Disks, Assign Hot-Spare from dropdown for Virtual Disk).

3 Posts

November 10th, 2016 09:00

Thanks for your very helpful reply.  My earlier description of the raid overstated the quantity of drives. The server has 2 drives, each 750gb, in a RAID 1 configuration.  I don't believe that this would modify your answer.

Question regarding OpenManage - is that application part of SBS or a Dell application?

Thanks Again

Jeff

3 Posts

January 13th, 2017 13:00

following up on this.  I purchased the drive and hotswapped it.  I get a drive status of "wrg type."  I purchased a drive of the same type and capacity and in the correct case.  Because of the drive status I can't  assign it as a hot spare.  the green light on the drive blinks once or twice on insertion and then no more.  my other drive in this raid 1 configuration is running and healthy.  these are two 750mb drives.  any thoughts appreciated?

Jeff

in below pics, old drive is on left, new drive is on right.  I did try putting the new drive in the old drive's enclosure, in case that interface on the end of the enclosure was the problem.  no go.

1 Message

May 25th, 2021 12:00

Pretty sure the ABYS drives are designed for DVRs

No Events found!