Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 15th, 2016 20:00

PowerEdge 2950 hard drive compatibiliy

Hi,

I've recently picked one of these up for free.  I want to use it as a server for home use, specifically as a VM host.  I pulled out the drives and they are SCSI 36 GB drives.

I'm pretty sure it's a first gen.  I read a lot about SAS/SATA drives being compatible, however, but never see generation cited.  Am I able to use drives such as these?

http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_147_9

Am I able to purchase adapters?  Thinking I might just need to junk this server since I'd like to see at least 500 GB to 1 TB of storage in it.

Thanks!

SERVICE TAG: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

• 

8.5K Posts

March 16th, 2016 06:00

SteveG1212,

The 2950 does indeed support 2Tb drives, such as the part # 9CF6R. I wouldn't specifically be able to guarantee that the drive you listed is compatible, as it isn't showing a specific part number to reference. It's specs tells me it should though. The raid adapters that you would need to chose from would be the

SAS6IR (part CR679) Raid 0,1

Perc 5/i  (part R9376) Raid 0,1,5,6,10,50,60

Perc 6/i ( part WY335) Raid 0,1,5,6,10,50,60

All 3 will support the style drives you are looking at. They are listed according to cost, with the Perc 6/i being the most expensive.

Also, the 2950 is among the 9th generation of servers, with the current models being the 13th generation.

Let me know if this helps clarify things.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 16th, 2016 21:00

Don't confuse SCSI with SAS (Serial-Attached SCSI) ... the 2950 doesn't take SCSI drives, but it will take SAS or SATA (backplane is SAS, which will take SAS or SATA). Individual drives may be up to 2TB, but your array can be larger.

As far as the controller goes, get the PERC 6. The PERC 5 is the older version of the PERC 6, and the SAS 6 is a low-end controller whose performance will only disappoint you if you care at all about performance.

You should make sure all firmware is up to date on it.

No Events found!