Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 9th, 2015 06:00

PowerEdge R320 cabled for SATA?

Hi All

I've recently purchased a new (ok, almost new "outlet") R320 server which has arrived and appears to be cabled for SATA drives (non-hot swap). No hard drives were included as part of the system - i was aware of that ;-)

I am also in possession of two Dell 2TB NearLine SAS / 6Gbps / 7.2k / 3.5 HD ...so my question is, what exact cables do i need to buy & replace, so that I can use these SAS drives in my system which is already cabled for SATA?

From what I've read, the PERC H710 integrated controller supports both SATA and SAS, so is it simply a matter of buying the SAS cable and connecting it to the SAS_A port on the H710?

many thanks in advance

-Patrick

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2015 16:00

My apologies. Check out any of these part numbers:

XP00F & H3YKR

They should be available in the UK.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2015 13:00

Here is the part number for use on PERC H710 with SAS 3.5 HD backplane.

CY7N1.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

3 Posts

June 9th, 2015 14:00

Thanks for the reply Robert

However, my R320 has a 4-way SATA cable (ready for 4x SATA HDD, non hot swap) - so I think the cable you have suggested would not work, since i have no back-plane for 4x SAS drives.

From doing lots of internet search, I believe what I need is the SAS equivalent of 0H3YKR (and I need to find it available in the UK :-))

regards, Patrick

3 Posts

June 10th, 2015 02:00

Thanks Robert

There is already a cable (p/n H3YKR) labelled SATA A-D and connected to the H710 integrated controller SATA port.  I tried moving this to the SAS_A mini port, but the disks are not recognized, so i suppose this answers my question if simply moving the cable would work - it doesn't!

I will call Dell UK and ask for XP00F for the SAS

rgds, Patrick

No Events found!