louisg00
1 Nickel

PowerEdge T130 NVME boot

I bought a Ableconn PEXM2-SSD M.2 NGFF PCIe SSD to PCI Express 3.0 x4 Host Adapter Card with an Intel 128GB M.2 80mm SSD (SSDPEKKW128G7X1) hoping to use it as a boot drive in uefi mode. I was able to install fedora on the drive and the bios has fedora in the uefi boot sequence menu but it is grayed out and will not boot from that drive. I played with different settings in the bios with no luck.

Is the T130 able to boot from a nvme drive? Did I get the wrong adapter/ssd combo?

Thanks

0 Kudos
12 Replies

RE: PowerEdge T130 NVME boot

Hi,

We do not support NVMe on this server. The only Fedora compatible controllers we have are the H330 and H730 and they are SAS/SATA and not NVMe. 

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
louisg00
1 Nickel

Thank you for your response. How about AHCI expansion card? Can I boot off of SATA III pcie card?

Thanks

0 Kudos

It may work, we only have validated our two cards, those would be the best option. 

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
alexwang.tw
1 Copper

Hi Josh,

I believe PCIE NVMe boot is already a mature function, and is widely supported in many Dell PCs now. 

Although this is a low end server in Dell's market segment, but, I believe many customers use this machine as a powerful workstation. I also believe many customers are demanding this feature and pursuing better performance as it is becoming a standard one on other PCs. I don't think a reason of not supporting it on the T130. I wonder if Dell will add this feature in near future BIOS update? 

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

I believe many customers use this machine as a powerful workstation

I have a really hard time believing that. It is not powerful by any standards. Even the Optiplex can be configured with as much RAM and processors and drives comparable in performance (and better). Not to mention the Precision lineup if someone were really after a "powerful workstation". Anyone using a server, especially a low-end server like the T130 as a "powerful workstation" has paid too much money for too little tech.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be an option, and I think it will as it becomes standard on even low-end boards, like USB 3.0 was slower to be adopted on servers than on desktops, but I do think that the premise for expecting it to be an option in such a low-end machine is wrong. Most people buying the T130 simply are not in the market for that kind of tech, certainly not enough for Dell to invest to add the functionality. SATA SSD is more than adequate for the T130.

0 Kudos
rseiler
2 Iron

Is dissecting usage scenarios relevant to answering whether feature x works on product y?  I think the answer is probably more important.

I had the same question in another thread about the T30, which is about a year newer than the T130. The information is impossible to come by. The manual doesn't say that it does, but it doesn't say that it doesn't, either.

Also, this word "support" is unfortunate as used early in this thread. What does that even mean?  Most likely it means "Dell doesn't sell a solution to make it happen on your server, therefore if you've decided to go ahead anyway, any support issues that you may have in the future is fruit of the poisonous tree, and we reserve the right to hang up on you."

Whereas we just want to know "Can this be done, yes or no."

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

It may be as much a question for Intel as for Dell. It was not part of the Dell's design, and the functionality is untested by Dell, which means it is "unsupported". Doesn't mean it won't work, just means that Dell can't say that it will (or won't) work, but there also shouldn't be the expectation that it should. The forums are a good place to share what does and doesn't work outside of Dell's designed usage scenarios.

0 Kudos
rseiler
2 Iron

Isn't it strictly dependent upon the BIOS/UEFI?  If Dell (or whoever it is that writes Dell's firmware, if they don't do it themselves) didn't put the ability to boot NVMe in the firmware, then you're out of luck no matter what (best you can do is use it as a data drive). Shouldn't they know if they did or not?  I know Intel developed NVMe in the first place, and if these were Intel boards that Dell was using, then this would be a question for Intel as much as Dell, maybe more. But Intel stopped making motherboards a long time ago, and I don't think Dell ever actually used them.

0 Kudos
LANCORP
2 Iron

Sorry to dredge up an old conversation, but I wanted to add to it, since I have run across the same questions about the T30 and the T130.

It does seem the T130 does not support booting from an NVMe SSD in a PCI-e slot.  Neither via BIOS or NVMe.  The T30, on the other hand, DID support it, until Dell REMOVED IT PURPOSEFULLY in Bios 1.0.3.

So there is something to be said about whether a system has the capability or whether Dell has purposefully disabled it.

Now, the T130 and T30 are LOW COST servers for companies/individuals with LOW COST budgets.  To expect us to go out and buy enterprise grade components is a bit ridiculous.  

The T130, to make matters worse, has ONE SATA PORT and no aux power to power a SATA SSD.  I could run SSD's off the H730 but seems a waste of cached PERC ports.

It would be nice to have the ability to boot from a NVMe card in a PCI-e slot.  My guess is, like the T30, the code IS there in the BIOS, but a flip of a bit has it turned off, just like Dell did with the T30.