Poweredge 2600 - SCSI Issue, beeping alarm

I have a PE 2600, Server 2003, RAID 5, 6 discs.  2 scsi cards.  I removed ONE SCSI card to mount it on a different server, only to find out that the card did not work.  I went to replace the card back in the 2600 after a few days.  I did not recall which port the scsi cable plugged into and which card, and when i booted up, the machine was not able to see the drives, NO green lights on the front.  There are 2 ports on each card.  I then moved around the scsi cable to each port and rebooted until I was able to get to a point where my PERC BIOS utility gave me the best results.  It now states on channel 0- all ID's FAIL, and on channel 1- READY.  It is beeping continuously.  I need help getting this back online.  Data is secure, so it is not a priority to recover the data.  Actually the RAID 5 was configured all on one array, and i would like to have one virtual drive for the OS and one for data.  Looking for a good configuration for use as a file share, print and application server.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies

Re: Poweredge 2600 - SCSI Issue, beeping alarm

MarcoPolo_config,

If you are not concerned with the saving of the data, as you state you have it backed up, then we can just delete and recreate the array(s). I would suggest a 2 drive Raid 1 for the OS and then a 4 drive Raid 5 for the data. The insures that any issue with the host OS, doesn't involve the data.

To start lets delete the existing configurations:

Select Objects—> Logical Drive from the Management Menu.

The logical drives display.

Use the arrow key to highlight the logical drive you want to delete.

Press <Del> to delete the logical drive.

This deletes the logical drive and makes the space it occupied available for you to make another logical drive.

Then to create you need to do the following:

Select Configure—> New Configuration from the Management Menu.

Press the arrow keys to highlight specific physical drives.

Press the spacebar to associate the selected physical drive with the current array.

Press <Enter> twice after you finish creating the current array.

The Select Configurable Array(s) window appears. It displays the array and array number, such as A-00.

Press the spacebar to select the array.

Press <F10> to configure a logical drive.

Highlight RAID and press <Enter> to set the RAID level for the logical drive.

A list of the available RAID levels for the current logical drive appears.

Select a RAID level and press <Enter> to confirm.

Move the cursor to Size and press <Enter> to set the logical drive size.

Click Advanced Menu to open the menu for logical drive settings.

Set the Stripe Size.

Set the Write Policy.

Set the Read Policy.

Set the Cache Policy.

Press <Esc> to exit the Advanced Menu.

After you define the current logical drive, select Accept and press <Enter>.

If space remains in the arrays, the next logical drive to be configured appears. If the array space has been used, a list of the existing logical drives appears.

Press any key to continue, then respond to the Save prompt.

Press <Esc> to return to the Management Menu.

The logical drives you configured need to be initialized to prepare them for use.

Select Initialize on the Management Menu.

The configured logical drives display.

NOTE: A full initialization will not resume after a power loss; it will start completely over.  

Use the arrow key to highlight a logical drive, then press the spacebar to select a logical drive or press<F2> to select all the logical drives.

Press <F10> to initialize the selected logical drive(s) and select Yes at the prompt.

When the initialization is complete, press <Esc> to return to the Management Menu.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos

Thanks.  Is the beep I am receiving indicative of any hardware configuration or scsi cabling issue?  The server was working fine prior to unplugging the scsi card.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos

The alarm is due to the original array being failed, once the array is deleted the alarm should cease.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos

Worked great.  Thanks a ton.  Any tips or tools necc to fire up each array pre or post OS?

0 Kudos

One other thing. If you create both arrays now then you will need to configure which array is the boot (OS) drive. From the Perc BIOS main page select CONFIGURE, then select SPECIFY BOOT DRIVE and select the Raid 1.

Also, you can use the "Installation and Server Management" ISO to load the raid drivers for you. Just boot to it and it will tell you when to insert the 2k3 media.

ISM - www.dell.com/.../poweredge-xeo2600

Let me know if that helps.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos

I'm up and online now.  Not really satisfied with my storage capacity.  I have about 219 GB.  Each drive is about 70 GB.  What are my options/limitations on options for increasing capacity (larger disks)?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
theflash1932
5 Iridium

Did you create a RAID 10 or did you not use all 6 disks? What would you like for storage capacity ... what is your goal?

0 Kudos

I used your suggestion R-1 for the OS, R-5 for the storage array (4 discs).  It is a sound solutions, but I know I will need more than 200GB.  I need a Terabyte or two.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Goal is to have a NAS capable of storing business information as well as music and photo backup, which is where all the storage needs arise.

0 Kudos