Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 6th, 2012 00:00

Poweredge 840 SAS Raid card identification

Hi,

First post here, so please be gentle with me!

I have a Poweredge 840 with a SAS Raid Controller that I think has given up the ghost. The system is reporting a PCIe Training error: SLOT1. I've changed the main board but get exactly the same problem, so next step is to swap out the card thats in slot1.

I need some help identifying the card though. I know its a SAS PERC card but none of the numbers on the card tally up with cards I've found on evil-bay and other such places.

The card in my 840 has a LSI 1068 chipset and a sticker on the back reading : CN-0UN939-13740-74M-038H... However this number doesn't tally up with anything I've found online. I think it may be a GU186 having seen a photo of one it looks the same, but before I order it I want to make sure that it is the right card or that it is at least interchangable with the card I have.

Second question... is the array configuration contained on the card or on the drives? If I swap the card will it just work or will I need to do some configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

January 6th, 2012 02:00

Hi there,

As far as I can see, both UN939 and GU186 are SAS 5/iR cards, however there is a note stating that UN939 is needed for compatibility with Tape Backup Units. If you don't have one of these and have no need of this functionality, I believe that GU186 would be okay.

Also, if you simply replaced the SAS 5/iR card, it will detect that the drives are part of an existing array. You will need to activate the virtual disk in the RAID BIOS once the card is installed.

3 Posts

January 6th, 2012 05:00

Many thanks John, I'll try to get hold of a GU186 and report back when its fitted.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2012 10:00

I am having this exact same issue. When you replaced the card, did the system boot normally or was there configuration needed to keep the data and system in tact and booting normally?

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2012 01:00

Hi Rustylh, Crumbs, it was a long time ago and I'm sorry but I can't remember the exact details. However I do recall that when I fitted the new card there was some basic setup required. Once I'd done that the machine attempted to rebuild the damaged data on the boot drive, but it never actually fixed it. In the end I had to have the machine taken away for some clever bods to wave their magic wands at. Sorry I can't be any more help. Dan
No Events found!