Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

1 Message

November 1st, 2019 09:00

Poweredge R410 shrink disk size

We have an R410 with 4 x 1.8TB drives configured RAID 5 and split into 2 virtual disks of 50GB and 5.4TB

C: Drive with Windows 50GB data and F: Drive 5.4TB Data

If I reduce the 5.4TB drive in Windows to 5TB can I reclaim the unused space and allocate it to the 50GB drive.

If so would this be at the Windows level or OMSA?

Alternatively should I backup the larger drive and delete it in OMSA, reclaim some space for the C: Drive, create a new second drive expand the C: drive and restore the larger drive from backup?

Thanks

• 

6.2K Posts

November 1st, 2019 12:00

Hello

@aich365 wrote:

If I reduce the 5.4TB drive in Windows to 5TB can I reclaim the unused space and allocate it to the 50GB drive.

No, operating system disk allocation has no impact on virtual disks.

Your configuration is referred to as a sliced array. Situations like yours are one of the reasons sliced arrays are discouraged. They also have a higher rate of rebuild failures that are unrecoverable.

There are features and methods for expanding virtual disks if there is unused space on each drive in the virtual disk. Those options are not available with sliced arrays. If you want to make the 50GB virtual disk larger you will need to delete and recreate the virtual disks. I suggest not putting more than one virtual disk on a drive(slicing) if you can avoid it.

Thanks

No Events found!