Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

June 17th, 2015 15:00

RAID 5 Failed Drive and Predicted Failure

We have a RAID 5 with 7 300 GB disks.  One of the disks has failed and another has a predicted failure.

I pulled a bonehead move and accidentally removed the predicted failure one, which made the RAID 5 go away.  Luckily, I was able to put it back in, force it online and the array came back.  Whew!

Now I'm nervous, though.  Is there any safer way to deal with this situation other than just pulling the failed drive, let it rebuild, and then after it's finished, replace the predicted fail drive?

Should I be nervous about replacing a failed drive when I have another drive in the array with a predicted failure flag?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

June 17th, 2015 22:00

Now I'm nervous, though.  Is there any safer way to deal with this situation other than just pulling the failed drive, let it rebuild, and then after it's finished, replace the predicted fail drive?

I'm not exactly sure what you were hoping for here. Replacing the failed drive in a RAID 5, then replacing the pred fail drive is the only way.

Should I be nervous about replacing a failed drive when I have another drive in the array with a predicted failure flag?

Yes. Particularly if you don't have a backup. If you don't have a backup, get one now, then worry about repair. A pred fail drive is technically still online, but it has reported to the controller that failure is imminent. Without knowing the extent of the damage or the cause of the pred fail, it's impossible to say how long it will be functional or how much damage has already occurred.

No Events found!