Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2014 18:00

RAID 6 reconfiguration

Hi ,

We have configured RAID 6 on one of our server and due to shortage of space we ordered one 1TB HDD.

how do i add it to the existing RAID configuration and configure the RAID ?

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 18:00

You need to use the OpenManage Server Administrator software ... insert the drive "hot", open OMSA, Storage, PERC, Information/Configuration, Virtual Disks, and Reconfigure from the dropdown menu of Available Tasks for the RAID 5.

Which system?
Which RAID controller?
What OS?
How many drives and how large?

9.3K Posts

January 24th, 2014 08:00

A few additional notes and questions to theflash1932's post:

- If you have a single virtual disk on the raid set, you can do the reconfiguration that theflash1932 mentioned, but if you carved the raidset into 2 or more virtual disks, you will not be able to add the additional drive to the raid set

- If your current virtual disk is smaller than 2TB (2048GB usable space), there are several potential flags depending on what OS you are running and whether you are using the BIOS option (default) or the UEFI option.

Only Windows 2008 x64 and later x64 OSes support UEFI. Installing the OS in UEFI mode makes the boot disk GPT, which in turn allows you to use more than 2TB for the bootdrive. If you installed the OS in BIOS mode, you can only ever use the first 2TB of the bootdisk and would need to back up all your data, and then reinstall Windows in UEFI mode.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 24th, 2014 11:00

Yes and yes.

13 Posts

January 24th, 2014 11:00

We have a single Virtual disk with RAID 6 .

current virtual disk is 9TB in size and we are running Hyper-V server 2012 R2 in UEFI mode.

Currently we have 12 drives with 1TB each and we are adding one more 1TB drive.

So, from OMSA we have to use the "reconfigure"  from drop down list  to add 1TB drive to the existing RAID right ?  and all the data and the Created VM's will be intact ?

Thanks

February 21st, 2022 04:00

Hello to All.

I'm reconfiguring a Vdisk with OMSA now it has 4 Physical disks and adding 2 more same size and manifacturer 7.5 TB SAS.

How long does it take the reconfiguration to be finished?

The process bar dont even move 1% by 30 minutes.

Thanks

Chriss

• 

8.5K Posts

February 21st, 2022 06:00

ChrissSzeged,

There are a couple different variables that can affect the timeframe, so I couldn't be able to provide specifics. Basically it is depending on the size of the VD, it can take from a couple hours to a couple days, it really dependends on how it is configured.

Let me know if this helps.

No Events found!