Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 24th, 2010 09:00

SAS 6ir LED cable Question

I have a Dell SAS6ir storage controller installed in a SC440 server - yes I know it's not an original equipment option like the SAS5ir but it works perfectly.  The controller card itself has a 4 pin header designed to connect with a 4-wire cable to a 4-pin auxillary LED connector the motherboard so you can see the HD activity of the virtual disk (RAID1 array) .  I cannot find this cable anywhere nor can Dell apparently, as after talking to someone in the parts department for 30 minutes and showing them the exact diagram of the cable as posted in the link below they came back saying it was an E-I-D-E cable (yes, they spelled it out slowly for me).

If you look at Figure 3-12 in this Dell Document:  http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/pe440sc/en/HOM/HTML/install.htm#wp1087504 you will see that there is a connector cable between item #3 and #7 on that diagram.  If anyone knows where I might be able to find that cable please let me know.

I was tempted to just use a 4-pin, 4-wire CD Audio cable (you know, the ones where you had to connect it to your sound card if you wanted to hear audio CD's) but I don't know if the wires are in a straight-through or crossed-over configuration and I would prefer not to send power over the wrong pin.  Any documentation on the pinouts would be great too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

884 Posts

July 24th, 2010 14:00

I think part number, 42964, is a HDD LED cable used on many different systems that should work. impactcomputers.com appears to have it, though I am sure there are many different companies that do. Might be what you are looking for.

347 Posts

July 26th, 2010 13:00

did you get this working?

1 Message

August 16th, 2011 18:00

I'm not sure about brshoemak, but I took a 4-pin CD audio cable (without the little clip, but that will probably work too) and cut out the 4th pin.  Thus, I had only 2 wires, a red wire in the first pin and a black wire in the second pin.

I inserted one end of the connector into the SAS 6/iR jumper post with the two wires closest to the black SAS connector (when looking at the card from the front, the two wires are on the left side of the jumper post - towards the back of the card).

Then, I inserted the other end into my motherboard (R200) with the two wires on the left (looking from the front of the unit).  The wires are straight through, so if it doesn't work in one way, just put the connector in the other way on the motherboard.

It worked great.

No Events found!