Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 4th, 2011 21:00

SATA vs SAS drives on PERC6I? What about mixed?

On a new T410 server (for cabled drives) and a PERC 6/i SAS Raid adapter (341-6175), and a pair of Dell 250G SATA-300 HDs (Raid 1) for Windows Server, can I  use the other controller connector to add 2 1T 3Gbps SAS HD (Raid 1) for my small Win SQL database?  Or if one of the Perc's connectors has SATA drives, must the second one also have SATA?

Is there really any advantage of SAS over SATA, assuming the same quality, etc?  

My queston may be moot since Dell only has one 1T SAS drive and it's a hot-plug device.  Moot, that is, unless someone tells me, as I hope they will, that the hot plug carrier may be removed leaving a naked drive and a standard 7-pin connector for my own cable.

But the Dell brand, as shown in their storeage section also has exactly zero 1T SATA drives that show as being compatible with the T410.  I'm sure that is not true, but that's what it shows, today.  They do have 8 1T drives that I think would work, but my sales person points out that those are not listed for the T410.  Is this a good place to simply state, "So what?"  Those 8 are all SATA300 or SATA II, 7.2K rpm, but range in price ffom $152 to $424.  Does anyone know what the difference is among the various Dell HDs that all have identical specs? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 6th, 2011 07:00

Best practice would be to run either all SAS or all SATA without mixing them on the unit.  With the PERC controllers, many have found a solution  is to run a RAID 1 with SAS drives in slots 0/1, then SATA on a RAID 5 in other slots.  That is really the only option that people have used to run mixed drive types on same backplane.  As far as SATA drives, there is a lot of discussion regarding SATA drives on servers. 

For an example, If you have a basic warranty on your system, the SATA hard drives are converted for one year regardless of your servers warranty.  This only applies on the basic contract type.  If you have SAS drives, drives are covered for length of server warranty.  Or, if you upgrade your server warranty, then the drives are covered for more than the one year.

As far as price differences, there are a lot of drives that are continually added and some have been posted for quite a while, while others are added recently.  Just make sure that you have proper specifics to ensure you have the proper drive needed to accommodate both your system, 2.5" or 3.5" hard drives and controller.

No Events found!