Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

April 3rd, 2017 18:00

T30 and M.2 NVMe SSD?

Considering how new the T30 is and that it has the ideal slot (PCIe v3, x4), would there be any reason to think that it would have a problem with something like the Addonics ADM2PX4 adapter, along with an M.2 NVMe SSD, and Windows Sever 2016?

124 Posts

April 7th, 2017 17:00

Specifically, booting, which I think is the only place where there could be a problem, since some BIOS's, particularly proprietary ones like Dell's, could easily block booting from a PCIe-based storage device.

Experiences with any modern-day PowerEdges would be welcome (T130, etc), since they would be of a similar if not identical generation. Even someone getting it working with an older system, like the T20, would be helpful, since then it would make T30 more likely.

November 7th, 2017 09:00

I took a look at the newest T30 UEFI firmware, version 1.0.7, and there is still an NVMe driver for the UEFI environment in there, even though any firmware version beyond 1.0.2 will disable the internal M.2 slot.

So the UEFI environment should have no trouble discovering the NVMe SSD and booting from it, as long as it is connected to one of the full size PCIe slots with an adapter card and not the internal M.2 slot.

Anecdotally this does work as there are quite a few people who have reported using these adapter cards for an NVMe SSD in the T30, which would not be necessary if they were still running a version of the UEFI firmware that allowed the internal M.2. slot to be used.

1 Message

December 22nd, 2017 21:00

How does one “take a look at” a Dell firmware file?

1 Message

May 22nd, 2021 19:00

Hola, me gustaría bastante habilitar la ranura M2 interna de mi power Edge T30, cuál versión de UEFI me funciona para hacerlo?

1 Message

April 30th, 2022 15:00

bueno no te tengo la respuesta, yo tambien quiero habilitar la ranura. Por lo cual ocupò un adaptador Pci Express y doy inicio desde ahi.

No Events found!