Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 14th, 2015 07:00

T300 SAS 6/iR replace non failed drive with read errors.

Hello,

I have a perc 6i card in a T300 server with 1 SAS Raid1 and 1 SATA Raid1.

After about 5 years of flawless service I had some issues with the SATA raid so I did diagnostics on all drives and drive 2 (SATA Raid) had a read failure about 75% into the test. I did this several times and always the same result. I purchased an identical new drive and powered down the server and replaced. 

The new drive is not showing. I tried the drive as provided, and I tried it formatted NTFS on another PC, so I know that the drive works, but I cannot do anything with the drive as it is not showing to control. 

I have tried the BIOS tools, the OMSA and the LSI utility, I must be missing something here as I have replaced drives in arrays many times before and it's usually just put the drive in, tell it what to be and resync...

I am fortunate that I have moved this servers roles onto other servers for the time being but I am keen to put it back in to service..

I have put the original drive back in and it is currently recognised fine and rebuilding, but I need to replace the drive obviously... 

Any help is appreciated.

Edited to correct PERC to SAS

April 15th, 2015 01:00

The original drives are both Seagate ST31000528AS, I ordered a replacement but received ST31000524AS.

I have asked the supplier to advise if they have an 8AS drive..

I don't have an official list of drives that are supported by the controller, could it be that the 4AS drive is not supported and this is why it is not showing?

Surely the drive should show up even if it is not exactly the same as the other drives?

Any help is appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 15th, 2015 08:00

Does your T300 have hot-swappable drives or are they cabled? If they are hot-swappable, you should never power down to replace them - they should always be replaced "hot".

In the CTRL-R utility, does the drive show up on the PD MGMT screen? If it shows as foreign, that MUST be cleared before you can do anything with it. If it doesn't show there, are you sure the drive is good?

If the drives are hot-swappable, make sure the drive is mounted in the tray using the hole farthest back in the tray (labeled SAS).

Such a small difference in models would not matter. Is this (is the other one) a Dell-branded drive? If so, even the make doesn't matter.

April 15th, 2015 09:00

Hello,

The drives are not hot-swap, they are cabled.

The new drive does not show at all. So nothing can be done with it. The other drive is not a Dell Branded.

I put the new drive in a PC and used disk management to partition and format. The drive works ok. I tried the drive in the array totally base, with partition only, and with partition and format, it was not recognised as present.

There are only 4 bays. 0/1 have the SAS RAID 1 and 2/3 contain the SATA RAID 1.

I have put the original errored drive back in and finished the rebuild and the array is healthy again. I have the option to take the drive offline now, which I didn't have before.

The drive supplier is happy to take the drive back so I have already sent it back to them and they will replace with the exact model, should arrive Friday. If that isn't recognised then I'm not sure what to do.

No Events found!