Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 00:00

T620 Perc H710P Foreign configuration found on adapter

After power outage Disk 1 of Disks 0 - 5 is blinking amber. T620 Perc H710P. I presume there are 2 RAID arrays, RAID 1 and RAiD 5. I also am presuming the failed drive is on the RAID 1 array.

Error is:
“Press any key to continue or Press to enter configuration utility or press F to import Foreign configuration and continue.

Some configured disks have been removed from your system or are no longer accessible. Please check your cables and also ensure that all disks are present. Press any key to continue or proceed to enter the configuration utility.”

I have untested server backups and key data is backed up. What is my next step? Import, configure, or continue? What are the risks of each? What does each option really do?

Thank you everyone.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 8th, 2018 05:00

Cvedrene,

I understand your concern, the Foreign Configuration error is simply stating that the Virtual Disk configuration data on the drive is different than what is on the H710P. An Import is the act of taking the configuration data from the HDD and using that data to tell the controller the configuration, where Clearing the Foreign configuration tells it to clear the HDD's version of the configuration data, and to use the configuration data from the controller.

Now with your situation what we need to determine is if the Virtual Disk is still accessing the OS, as well as all the data. If so then we will need to Clear the Foreign, if the OS and data are not currently available then we need to Import the data.  You can read more about the Foreign and process here. If you also Private Message me the Svc tag, I can confirm the hardware for you.

Let me know what you see.

2 Posts

February 8th, 2018 14:00

Thank you Chris.  Your information was correct. The foreign import configuration successfully reloaded the meta-data and the server came back up giving us enough time to move off critical data. 

Thank you for your help.

Solved! Thanks to your info CHRIS.

chuck

1 Message

August 29th, 2020 01:00

cvedrene

i m facing same issue. same server. 

should i too import foreign settings as u had done. 

my data will be remain safe?? 

• 

4.1K Posts

August 30th, 2020 23:00

Hi,
if you might have an existing h/w issue, the import might not work. Foreign import is during troubleshooting. Also please know that we can't support on data loss. It's on the customer's responsibility. Hope this helps and have a great day.

• 

8.8K Posts

August 26th, 2022 11:00

Manzar,

I assume due to the priority that the Virtual Disk(s) are not booting or accessible, if it is then ignore the following. If Importing the foreign isn't working the other option is performing a retag on the virtual disk(s). Retagging is deleting and then recreating a virtual disk with the exact same parameters as before (stripe size, raid level, drive locations), but you do NOT initialize the Virtual Disk, as doing so would format the drives and delete the data. 

If in the chance the Virtual Disk is booting, then the issue is that you would need to Clear the foreign.

Also, on a side note, when you get it resolved I would suggest updating the server to current, if it isn't already.

Let me know if this helps.

1 Message

August 26th, 2022 11:00

I have a similar situation with Dell PE R730, and my RAID controller is Dell PEC H730P Mini. I am also getting Foreign configurations found on the adapter error, and I am getting an error when I am trying to import it. All drives are fine. I check using diagnostics. I can see  RAID 1 and 10 info under the dell system setup utility, which also shows me four virtual disks but throws an error when importing the config. 

Need urgent help. It's kind of a P1 Situation here. 

No Events found!