Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

April 15th, 2017 03:00

Unusual PowerEdge T620 / PERC H310 topology issue

Hi all,

I'm experiencing an odd issue with my 8 bay T620 and the dual attached H310 controller card. The drives are a mix of various types, but all 1TB SATA. Yet I get the following in MegaRAID:

Any ideas as to what is causing this? To add to the confusion the orange lights blink on all the devices that aren't shown as connected to the backplane and yet they all behave normally!  There is also nothing in the MegaRAID log to indicate there is a problem. Very confused.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 15th, 2017 15:00

Hello

I would suggest using OpenManage Server Administrator to monitor the controller. It has a storage management service that should install and run by default.

My guess is that you are using non-Dell drives. Our controllers will provide warnings in the form of flashing LEDs and status indicators in our monitoring tools to indicate that non-certified drives are in use.

Thanks

39 Posts

April 15th, 2017 17:00

All the drives in the enclosure are non-Dell drives. What I'm looking for is an explanation of why the behavior varies between them.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

April 16th, 2017 08:00

Every model has slightly different programming, depending on its designed use. Naturally, that programming will result in different behavior. Non-enterprise drives should not be used in servers - they simply aren't designed/programmed to be. Many enterprise-class drives, while designed for the rigors of datacenter usage scenarios, are often designed to be either generic enough to be used on many generic enterprise controllers or designed to be used on specific controllers (certified by Dell, HP, IBM, EMC, etc.).

No Events found!