Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2015 17:00

Windows 2008 doesn't recognize expanded raid 5 array

Dell PoweEdge T610 Server

Windows Server 2008 Standard R2

Raid 1 (C: drive - operating system only)

Raid 5 (D: drive - data etc)

All Windows updates installed

Perc 6/i intergrated controller

I have recently added one additional hard drive to a raid 5 array.   Drive was correct type and matched size of original disks in array. 

I had Dell Open Manage Server Administrator (DOMSA) Installed and it reported that all firmware and drivers were OK.

Installed drive
DOMSA recognized new drive

Task of reconfiguring array completed without errors.

However after reconfiguring completed array size in DOMSA and windows hadn't changed.  

(I did reboot system here and there to make sure that wasn't the problem)

Hmmmm........

Went to Dell support and downloaded new version of DOMSA and installed it.  This version said frimware version needed to be updates (by a 0.0.1 version change I think).  So I downloaded firmware and completed update successfully.

Now DOMSA recognizes increased size of array and reports that all is well with the world but Windows still reports the array as the size it was before the additional drive was added to array.

I probably forgot to include some important detail so please fire away with any questions or ideas on what I should do next.

Thanks in advance!

112 Posts

July 31st, 2015 19:00

Have you tried the ReScan disk option under "Action" in disk management ?

Is this a MBR disk and possibly already reached the 2 TB limit ?

Although the disk size will increase in Disk Management, the existing partitions will be the same. The extra space will show up as "un-allocated space" in disk management to the right of the existing partitions.

2 Posts

August 1st, 2015 11:00

2 TB lmit not a factor.  New array size should be around 400 Gb.  The raid 5 array is not partitioned.  No unallocated space is reported by DOMSA.  Thanks for the suggestion of rescan I haven't tied that yet but will.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

August 1st, 2015 19:00

If you can write to the raid 5, it is partitoned.

Did you read this?  "Although the disk size will increase in Disk Management, the existing partitions will be the same"

Did you go into Windows Diskmanager ? The VD size in DOMSA is NOT the same as Windows operating system partitions. You need to expand the operating system's partition either in DiskManager or a 3rd party partition manager.

No Events found!